Help needed again...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kiholo, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Kiholo

Kiholo Private First Class

I need a little assistance with another hardware matter.

Several months ago, I experienced problems with my home-built system not posting and booting up. It was an old system based on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 running Win XP. After a few posting on this site, the issue was resolved by removing the CMOS battery but I was advise the days of my old system were numbered. Since then, I purchased a prebuilt ASUS M11AD series as a replacement. Sadly, over time, I became dissatisfied with the M11AD performance as well as the limits on adding peripherals, such as another DVDRW, etc. into the case.

Consequently, I purchased an MSI Z97 Guard-Pro MB and 8GB of DDR3 RAM to install into my Cooler Master ATX case...basically, I began to build another system. Since both the M11AD and MSI Z97 were socket 1150 systems, my initial plan was to use the Intel i5-4440s and the Toshiba Sata HDD from the M11AD to run my new system and later transition to an all new OS and HDD setup for the NEW home-built. To my surprise, the OS recognized the new MB and requested I validate a few things, i.e., how many systems the OS was running on and was directed to enter a new validation code. This new home-built is now running okay.

In the mean time, I decided to resurrect the M11AD for my grand daughter to use. I purchased a used replacement i3-4150 processor on eBay and now the M11AD will not boot. I do NOT see any BIOS messages on the screen and there are no POST BEEPS...or is this now passe.

So far, here is what I have tried:

1. several times without success to get into the UEFI BIOS by holding down the DEL key at power-up...nothing...both cpu and chassis fans are running and only blinking cursor on screen.
    2. swapped the CPU between systems and both CPUs operate in the MSI but neither will boot in the ASUS M81H-A MB.
    3. exchanged RAM to verify there are no RAM associated problems.
    4. cleared the CMOS by jumper as well as pulling the battery overnight.

None of these efforts have resulted in different nor positive outcomes.

Basically, the system appears dead.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Wow you been through a lot!!

Now my initial thoughts are did a different CPU work in the M11AD? and if so its likely and I hate to say it the used CPU is a duff? unless it works in another motherboard?

You could try to remove the BIOS battery for 10mins and then replace and boot, this resets CMOS and that could work.

3. Kiholo

Thanks for the response David.

Yes, upon receipt, I did run the used CPU in my new home-built system as a test to ensure it wasn't dead. It ran fine but I am going to do it again to make sure both the CPU and RAM checkout.

As for the BIOS, yes, I have done cleared it via jumper setting as well as battery removal.

As I type this, I am wondering if I have somehow wiped out or corrupted the BIOS. If I have, I will research BIOS restoration.

4. Kiholo

Here is where things stand:

1. Installed and "tested" RAM in another system...that system boots and RAM seems fine.
    2. Installed and "tested" the used i3-4150 in another system...system booted after motherboard and/or BIOS noted the CPU changed.

Since these two components functioned properly in another system, I reinstalled both back onto the ASUS H81M-A motherboard in the pre-built system. Also reconnected the original Toshiba HDD with WIN 8.1 OS. Sadly, the pre-built system did not boot.

As noted before, there are no POST indicators, i.e., beeps.

At this point, I am beginning to wonder if the motherboard has failed. If so, I will check on warranty as soon as I complete posting this update.

Any thoughts from anyone?

5. Kiholo

Well, I've been in contact with ASUS tech support and am in the process of exchanging my motherboard for a replacement.

Thanks for the assistance.

6. Kiholo

Finally found the problem with my ASUS H81M-A motherboard. The CPU socket had 4 bent pins. I must have bent them when trying to install the plastic cover incorrectly.

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Were you able to straighten them and reseat the CPU? I had a similar situation on a Dell that I had to replace the mobo on. The CPU sprang up when the retainer was released and "slammed" back down bending 3 of the pins. I was able to straighten them and reseat the CPU in the new mobo. The computer worked fine afterward (phew!).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds