Second monitor works intermittenly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gofergal, May 4, 2015.

1. gofergal

gofergal Private First Class

I have had dual monitors (EMachine E19T6W, and Samsung) hooked up for about 2-3 years and the Samsung finally died. I then connected my extra EMachine monitor up and the first one started giving me a blank screen.

So, since the second one was not used as much, I swapped them, making it my primary. It worked for a couple of days, had a little problem with the color until I discovered the cables were close enough that one was not fitting tightly. I made sure both of them... the VGA and the DVI were tight.
    Now, the primary one is the DVI but the VGA only comes on once in awhile.. totally randomly. The power button blinks a blue ring... but never stays solid. Neither can i push it to turn it off. I cannot get the menu to come up either.

I tried swapping the VGA cable with another one and no change.
    I have tried to update drivers but it says there is no update.
    The video card is ATI Radeon HD 3200 GRaphics.
    I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OS 64 bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am going crazy with a single monitor! LOL

2. gofergal

gofergal Private First Class

Just a quick update.... this morning the primary monitor started blinking off and on. While I am working etc. the screen turns black for a second or two and comes back on. Wiggling the mouse does nothing to speed it up.

I thought this bit of info may be helpful.
    Thanks.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Some ideas and if they don't work post more info like resolution, etc.
    1) double check your connections, they should not rub at all even if you have to shave the sides to fit
    2) check the power to the monitors, try moving one to a different power source
    3) completely delete your ATI drivers and reinstall the latest you can find for your card, try mirrored desktop as well as extended
    4) check your power control panel and temporarily set all video related settings to stay on all the time, no screen saver or power down of monitors
    5) take a good look at the monitors' vents, are they dirty inside?
    6) check the monitor settings on each monitor

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds