Windows 7 boots to black screen with mouse pointer

Discussion in 'Software' started by oemicros, Jul 31, 2014.

1. oemicros

oemicros Private E-2

Hi all i have a Packard bell all in one running windows 7 64bit that has suddenly started to have a problem it only boots to a black screen with the mouse pointer nothing else tried to boot in safe / last known / low res you name it same result have removed hdd and scanned it with malwarebytes / superantispyware / spybot / panda is14 still the same don't really want to do a fresh install if i can help it . Any ideas would be gratefully accepted and tried . Oh i have run frst on it but it would appear no malware is present .

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you can get the Task Manager with ctrl+alt+del, try this.
    1. Look at the processes, right click explorer.exe and end the process
    2. Click on File up in the menu bar and select New Task (Run)
    3. Type in explorer.exe and click okay.

Hopefully your desktop will appear.

3. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Sounds like you're going to have to boot to a pre-Windows environment to attempt to fix whatever the problem is. You don't by chance have a Windows 7 Repair Disk do you? If not you'll need to impose on a friend or family member who has Windows 7 installed. Go to Control Panel, and open the 'Backup and Restore' applet Click on 'Create a system repair disk' and follow the prompts to create the CD. Finally, place the CD in your computer's optical drive and reboot. The system should automatically boot into the CD's repair environment but you may have to press a key to confirm that you want to boot to CD - just watch the screen for messages during boot up.

One of the first things you should do is call up a DOS box (the repair disk gives you access to one) and check the system drive for errors. Type the following at the command prompt (with "c:" being the drive where you have Windows installed):

chkdsk c: /r

Hit [Enter]

This will check your disk for errors and bad sectors, and if found will attempt to repair them. The process may take several hours on very large drives so be patient.

4. oemicros

oemicros Private E-2

Thanks both the windows repair disk option said it could find no issues..?
    i can't get into task manager as the system will not boot in any flavour normal/safe/last known/low res ?

It looks like it might have to be a fresh install i have tried scanning via a live cd with everything that will scan all to no avail. i have also seen a reg fix via kaspersky rescue disk replaceing explorer.exe but all is fine in that area.

5. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

The only other thing I can think of is that you have a corrupted MBR (Master Boot Record)

To repair that, use the same method to get back to the command prompt from the repair disk and type the following command:

bootrec /fixboot

Note there is a space between "bootrec" and "/fixboot". Hit ENTER and you should get a confirmation that the MBR (Master Boot Record) has been replaced or repaired. Take the boot disk out and reboot.

If the boot problem was due to a corrupted MBR, then you should now be able to boot Windows.

6. oemicros

oemicros Private E-2

Again thanks both the repair mbr was my last hope and thanks for the suggestion but it said opperation complete but still the same result.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The command rusty gave you does not actually fix the MBR, it fixes problems with the Windows boot partition. To fix the MBR type bootrec.exe /FixMbr.

Good luck!

8. oemicros

oemicros Private E-2

Again thanks to all for your ideas/suggestions all failed and i have come to the end of my tether and set about a system recovery and said goodbye to my programs etc..
    Again thanks all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds