Blue Screen Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Jul 10, 2012.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I have a problem with my laptop PC. I need advice on this problem.

Computer: Acer Aspire 5920

At the time I encountered this problem I was running Windows Update. The message, in full, that has come up on my computer's blue screen is as follows:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00650043, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x 83641129)

*** iastor.sys - Address 83641129 base at 83601000, Datestamp 46ff320c"

This is the first time this blue screen has appeared. I have not installed any new hardware or new software.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thank you for your response and your advice. Can you please tell me what it is I actually need to download. When I've downloaded it how do I go about installing it?

4. satrow

If you have x86 (32-bit) Vista, from the first dropdown select the Chipset driver Intel, if it downloads as an exe file, it should self-install once double-clicked.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Click the down arrow aside of Driver and Utilities and select Chipset Driver Intel.
    If you are running a 64 bit version of Vista, instead of the above, click the down arrow aside of 64 Bit Driver and select the same file.

Or go here
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_5920/vista/Drivers/
    and select Chipset Driver Intel. It might have both in the zipped file; I don't know.

I just downloaded and unzipped. There is an x64 folder though it does not contain an exe file. Look at the Readme and Help text files. Then click setup.exe to run in one of three modes, as explained in Readme.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  6. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I have downloaded and attempted to install. However, the install process stalled and said that I had a newer version and asked if I wanted to continue. As I didn't think it appropriate to install an older version I chose to not continue with the install.

7. satrow

iaStor drivers are often unsuited to normal Atapi, PCI, IDE, SATA controllers. Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) drivers (iaStor is one) are pretty specific to later Intel chipsets, they will cause issues if incorrectly installed. Please revert to the older drivers you downloaded, at least for testing purposes.

8. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

May I be clear about this. Are you recommending that I should install the older driver. When you say "for testing", do you mean just to see if the problem happens again or to do some specific test?

9. satrow

Yes, install the older driver. If you don't get the same BSOD in about 10 days or so, you found the culprit.

If you do get another BSOD, please zip and attach the dump and I'll try to see if there are further clues there.

10. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thanks!

I've downloaded and installed the older driver from the recommended web site. I shall now keep a watch on whether I get the blue screen again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds