Gun Laws

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Know I know political threads can get a little weird on forums. Everyone has there own views on stuff. This article got me thinking though... http://thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080727/NEWS01/807270330/1001/NEWS

People want to outlaw guns in the US. But Regena here was not 21 years old, so by law she could not buy a gun. She could not by law, carry a concealed weapon. ULM is a 'Gun Free' zone, so by law you cannot carry a weapon on the campus. Oh yeah, threatening people and shooting a gun on campus is illegal. And I am pretty sure possesing a stolen gun is illegal.

So some people want to make owning a gun illegal. Who will obey that law? I don't think Regena here would obey it. Looks like she violated 5 laws, what is one more? I think that the US does not have a gun problem. We have a criminal problem. Instead of passing more 'laws' that take away our rights, we need to find a way to address the criminals.

Maybe we could just make criminals illegal. Oh wait, they are by definition... Anyone have any thoughts on this?

E

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Fred

Living in a non-gun owning country my views are likely to be different as we have not had or the hint of having our rights to owning a gun taken away, but personally if the USA makes gun ownership illegal then I feel that you would drive ownership underground thus loosing the traceability of gun owners you have now ( yes I know some may pick up guns outside the law and registration of said weapons ) and I would imagine thats a good thing to have in order to find many of those who use guns for crime.

And I would agree, if someone wants a gun to commit crime they don't care what laws you have in place, our common incidents with weapons lately all center around knifes ( yes we also do have many gun related crimes, but likely they would be higher if the populous where allowed to carry guns ), no law banning the ownership on the streets of knifes will stop this happening.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

@ Halo they passed laws outlawing the ownership of automatic weapons after the guy in Scotland (i forgot his name) went on a rampage and the really scary thing is he had a license for the guns.

As for the US it's in the constitution that every citizen has the right to bear arms and not being up on US laws i do not see how they can enforce a law banning firearms.

Maybe a stricter control on gun ownership is the way forward??

just to put my side of the argument in prospective i am a licensed gun owner.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

After thinking about it, I am wondering why a lot of people are not civilized. Sure some people make me want to bust out my 'nine and start blasting away, but that is just a fantasy, or a way to deal with stress. I would only use a gun in self defense, and rarely carry one anyway. Actully, I don't have a 9mm, but how many times do you get to say 'bust out my 'nine'?:-D

Some people just don't obey laws, and passing more laws will not stop them. But more and more I see people want to pass more laws, like a knee jerk reaction. Murder is illegal. If someone can seriously contemplate taking another person's life, will a little law making guns illegal stop them?

I am more concerned about uncivilized people than law abiding people having guns. What makes a person be willing and able to break so many laws? It seems we have a much larger issue to deal with than gun controll.

E

5. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Responsible adults are not running around shooting people (for the most part, accidents do happen), my brothers own guns, friends do too and they all obey the laws - not one incident with any of them. The problem is with the ones "on the street" and those will not be taken care of with a ban IMO.

http://www.icpgv.org/pdf/facts.pdf

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Thugs can kill and rob using a gun, a baseball bat, a knife, hands, or a variety of other objects.
    Eliminating guns, only changes the weapon they will choose. It does not eliminate the crime.
    Being killed by a bullet or a baseball bat, still makes you dead.
    So let's outlaw everything, except marshmallows and comfy pillows. (Opps, can be smothered by a pillow)

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Eat too many marshmellow, get fat, die from heart disease...:-D

E

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, while I agree a ban would be useless and only hurt legit owners, I can't for the life of me understand why things like these MAC guns and other similar types of military weapons are even allowed to be sold. Oh, I need it for rabbit hunting.rolleyes

Also, everyone harps on the constitution and 'their rights to bare arms' which was written in 1775 or so, that was written for those days and those times when the evil British axis was threatening your 'borders'. Too bad, your 50 cals are now being smuggled into Mexico to kill officials and guns are being traded now for our pot. This just sucks!

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Apple is making guns now?! Do they use regular bullets, or do you have to get special IBullets?:-D Most of the 'assault' rifles and stuff are just cosmetically altered semi-auto or bolt action guns. To get one of the real millitary gund in the US, you have to get a federal liscense of some type.

Augie, I, along with a lot of people kinda like our constitution. You mean people have guns in law abiding Canada?! Nothing against you Augie, you and I just think differently.;) And I don't want this to be a gun/anti-gun thread. When I started this thread, it was because I have a hard time understanding why people want to pass more laws. Criminals don't follow laws...

The person in the newspaper article violated 6 laws. She is under 21 (got to be 21 to own a handgun), Had a gun on a school campus, Carried a concealed weapon (got to have a permit for that), Threatened people with a gun, illegal discharge (not good to pop off a 'cap in the city), and had a stolen gun.

How would another law, stop her? But I am sure that some people will be crying for more 'gun control laws' because of the incident.

E

10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I am not anti-gun for hunting and I for sure don't want to turn this thread into a bashing fest. I guess my main point is the ease of availability of handguns like at gunshows, which, IIRC don't do the checks for nutzoids ATM plus all the illegal gun dealers that the ATF can't get their hands on.

I have to agree with you that more laws will not help but enforcing the ones that you do currently have on the books should be enforced more rigorously. There's a pipeline of supply here which should be shut down but there doesn't seem to be too much interest by the politicos to do so.:(

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Reminds me of an old bumper sticker.

Here in Australia, they have made gun owning so restrictive, expensive, and difficult, that many would-be legal gun owners are / have given up.

Gun shops are closing.

Beware, anti-gun prospective lawmakers have only one agenda. They don't acknowledge that the gun is not the problem. Bazza

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"I have to agree with you that more laws will not help but enforcing the ones that you do currently have on the books should be enforced more rigorously."

Well said Augie.

"There's a pipeline of supply here which should be shut down but there doesn't seem to be too much interest by the politicos to do so."

Could that be part of my evil plan to destroy Canada???:-D

E

13. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Its a slippery slope with the lawmakers we aren't even allowed to own something that looks like a handgun now,imitation firearms have been banned and anything that fires blank cartridges has to be made of orange plastic or something:-D

14. WharfRat

WharfRat Guest

firmly believes in "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"

I am armed

15. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

lmao! They want to make sure they don't even come close to what we've got in the US. Make sure no one gets any ideas. :-D

I can't say as I blame them. I personally think the whole 'right to bear arms' has gotten way out of hand here. It's all BS to me. Soon they'll be selling personal cannons or whatever these things are called and the 'right to bear arms' BS excuse.
    [​IMG]

People! The writers of the constitution did not mean friggen semi-automatic weapons!!!!!!!rolleyes

Oh, and the whole 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people'. Another rolleyes. Get a new argument please. Maybe it's true, but it sure makes it a whole hell of a lot easier.

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Uhh, guns don't kill people, bullets do. LOL

17. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

:p

I gotta give you credit...it IS different than the original.

18. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Guns DON'T kill people - husbands who come home early do ;)

Ease of availability due to guns being legal has very little to do with it either. In England they are not legal easily to all as they are in the US, but you could easily pick one up in any city within 30 minutes of getting there.

More laws won't do a thing as Fred says - these people are breaking plenty as it is. What needs to take place is accountability. You break a law, you pay the price. Mental instability is too easy a clause for everyone to plead nowadays and get off with murder, literally. You break a law, you do the time. The rest of us get it. Now, this approach will not stop people breaking laws if they are bent on doing it anyway, but at least it will take them off the streets to make it safer for those of us who abide by the law. The prisons aren't big enough argument? True...which is why there is rehab and prevention centers that people are sent to - but the states cut those at the first opportunity when funding gets tight. It's way cheaper to rehab a person and prevent a crime than imprison them, but it is also an invisible budget cut. So who needs re-training? The criminals or the budget setters............. ;)

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Attention. I am up on a bunch of soap box crates for some crazy reason. A rocket launcher, well no, the average citizen of the US does not need that. Those are single shots anyway. A semi auto?? Heck we hunt with them! Semi auto means every time you pull the trigger, the gun shoots untill you are out of ammo.

At the time of the Constitution, you are right, they had single shot rifles and pistols. We have moved on a bit since then.

And my right to bear arms is my right to smack down the government it they ever get too lippy.:-D And they meant guns that can fight the government if needed.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." That is plain and simple wording there.

If you have never read it, it is a great read. http://www.law.emory.edu/index.php?id=3080

Don't be infringing on my rights...:-D

E

20. WharfRat

WharfRat Guest

I can't ignore this either, how many car jackings or home invasions do you hear about......outlaw guns for personal protection & we are SCREWED. I am speaking as a US citizen, my comments do not apply to other countries

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Let them ban handguns. I'll carry a hand grenade and take them all with me.

22. SixShooter

SixShooter Major Malfunction

I live in a very rural area where law enforcement sometimes can not make it there in a timely manner. So I will protect my family by any means possible. I'd rather suffer the consequences of shooting such a threat than having to attend a funeral of a loved one. I do agree that military weaponry should not be sold to the public. Some say to ban handguns on that I strongly disagree. When someone is breaking into my house a handgun is a quick response to this situation. There is no cure for problems with firearms. The more laws you make...the more others will break.

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My wife's work was robbed recently. Took the police over an hour to respond. Good thing there were no casualties.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds