Wireless Printer Help..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zacota, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Zacota

Zacota Private E-2

I know this may sound a stupid question, but a friend asked me if he could connect his printer to his wireless modem to enable him to use it for both his home computers.?

I not knowing hardly anything about printers, & said he might be able to get a Wireless USB connector to attach to his printer, thus enabling him to do that ???

I also said he can buy a wireless model.

If anyone has any suggestions or websites to goto I would be most gratefull.

He has 2 computers (1 Desktop, 1 Laptop) & a Wireless Broadband Modem & of course a printer.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

If the printer does not have network capabilities, he could just share the printer. A shared network printer can be used by all the computers on his home network. On the computer the printer is connected to, go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, right click on the printer and click on sharing. Give the printer a name and share it. On the other computers, run the Add a printer Wizard. (Assuming you are using WinXP)

Post back if you need any help.

E

3. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Wireless Print Server box could help as in something like the aforementioned Netgear and this D-Link one or if a HP printer this may work with that printer, however with the prices of some of these hitting $100, it maybe wiser if the printer your friend has already is old in getting a new dedicated wireless printer.

I have this one and it works well HP C4380 Wireless but their are others that are cheaper from various brands

But the option of sharing the printer is great option as mentioned above.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds