Wifi antenna type

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jerseydevil, Mar 1, 2006.

1. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

Which antenna is better for wireless: a simple duckie on a base close to the AP or a Cantenna nearer the PC? I have weak reception at the PC.

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

What brand router do you have?

The rubber duck antennas are better for use in a building where a cantenna is more for capturing a weak signal from a long distance away.

I also read your other post about Gain. The standard antenna on most routers is a 3 or 4 Dbi antenna which is fairly low gain. If you imagine the antenna being like the vertical core of an apple and the coverage area would be the rest of the apple but of course larger. a higher gain antenna would broadcast a signal of greater diamater but less height. In most home applications a 7 or 9 Dbi antenna would work well to improve your range.

Also if you happen to have a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS router version 4.x or older, there are firmware upgrades available to increase the power output from the original 34mw to as high as 251mw.

3. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

I am accseesing the web from a t-mobile hotspot so my problem is reception of the wifi signal at the PC. I am using the stock antenna that came with the card. If I add an extension cable for the antenna I can get closer to the AP. I could also place a small directional antenna on the PC and direct it at the AP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds