New game computer build GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmyere, Dec 6, 2008.

1. rmyere

rmyere Private E-2

Hey guys...Im building a new gaming rig and just want a bit of input into what GPU I should put into this baby. IMPT to note is that i plan on eventually expanding into crossfire/SLi with whatever card i get, so that should be taken into account.

the setup-

ANTEC 900 black steel mid tower case

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V power supply

Asus P6T X58 board.......

and along with that a brand new i7-920

Corsair Dominator RAM kit 3x1GB 8-8-8-24

HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive-TIMES TWO

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM -TIMES TWO

ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

-------------------------------------------

OK now for the question-I want to know what you think about the AMD 4870 1GB vs the nVidia GTX 260-216........I know the 260-216 is supposed to be a bit better, but i have heard that the 4870 1GB is better when put into crossfire, which is what i plan to do eventually. The cost is almost the same so i dont really care about that. Thanks for your input.

2. Felixmagician

Felixmagician Private E-2

I have XFX's GTX260 Black edition, it's stock overclocked with 216SP.
    I think it's entirely up to your preferences, when I was deciding on the card, I looked at some of the game FPS and GTX260 showed better performance thatn ATI4870 on a couple of games that I own. So I leaned towards GTX260. Also the Black edition didn't really cost much extra, so that was practically a free and safe overclock.

The P6T board supports both CF and SLI, so I think it really is a matter of taste.

One tip though, buy cheaper DDR3 memory. Dominator is super expensive, you can get the same memory, same speed, from Corsair at almost half the price by buying XMS3 or XMS3 DHX.

Very nice rig btw :)

3. rmyere

rmyere Private E-2

4. Felixmagician

Felixmagician Private E-2

I have the exact same PSU, and everything Corsair makes seems to be high quality. 750W is enough power to run the two cards in SLI.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds