Black Screen on First switch-On then Normal Boot on 2nd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ButtersPaladin, Aug 24, 2014.

1. ButtersPaladin

ButtersPaladin Private E-2

Hello Everybody, I'm having problem on my other PC. Problem is when I first switch it On, it doesn't boot and there's no display but if I pull the plug then re-plug and switch it back on, it boots normally and I can use it o.o

1. I already tried inserting the power plug on a different outlet. Problem still occurs

2. I swapped a different PSU and AVR but still it failed.

3. Cleared the CMOS, removing the battery, swap another battery. Still failed.

4. Swapped the RAM on a different slot and I also swap it with another RAM. Failed still.

5. Flashed/Updated UEFI/Bios(?) successfully but the problem still occur.

6. I switch places the reset and the power button, making my reset button my power botton, the problem still there :(

I really suspect a dying Motherboard :\ but it's only 2 years old.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Asrock H61M-DGS
    CPU: Intel i3-2120
    RAM: Kingston 2 GB

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, ButtersPaladin. Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

I'm presuming this is a gaming setup. It could well be your graphics card. Have you tried using the VGA output to your monitor?

3. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Possibility it may not be a hardware issue, try disconnecting the HD see if it powers up ok.

4. ButtersPaladin

@mdonah

Thanks! It's not a gaming setup, I'm using the built-in graphics. I might try inserting a dedicated video card later.

If it is the video card the culprit, would it mean it's just black screened? I mean, I let it run for 3 min (I estimate how long it goes fully booted) the I ping that computer, it doesnt respond or I could not turn it off using a program called MyLANviewer.

@Oldphil

I've done it, it still randomly don't boot/black screen :(

Update: Today, that PC seems OK now o.o It doesn't fail anymore, I've tested it the whole day and turn it off like 5 min to 1 hour before I boot it up again. All boot instances are successful.

Btw, I forgot to mention, when it "fail" there's no light on the Numlock LED and I can't toggle it to lit up.

Again, Thank you guys :)

5. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

After re reading a few times try another key board, your mention of the numlock issue may be the hint to the problem.

6. ButtersPaladin

@Oldphil

Sorry for the late response, I tried it with a different keyboard, the problem still persist. Anyway, I decided to buy a new motherboard and it's all fixed now.

Thank you all for the help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds