Send a link to a phone by text messsage?

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by psco2007, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I just got out of the dinosaur age and got a smartphone (Alcatel touch fierce).

I would like to send a link from a URL to a friend who does not use email, but has a smartphone w/data.

Is this possible?

I've seen suggestions that say to use IE and click "more", but I can't find that option.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have the webpage open, you need to find the options on your phone - on mine it's the button at the bottom left. Then look for send link or share page. You'll have different options - Bluetooth, Email, Messaging, etc. Select Messaging and send the link. See screenshots.

Attached Files:

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Thanks for reply,

Somehow, I found the "message" button and clicked Send.

It said success, but my other phone to which I sent it does not have it.

I can't even find that choice again, although I'll keep trying.

I also downloaded an app called Mightytext, but when you click Send, nothing happens.

I guess I'll keep fooling around with it.

4. Eldon

I'm not familiar with Alcatel phones but most Android phones work the same. Does it have the Android OS?

5. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Yes.

I think it's called Lollipop.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  6. Eldon

I found the greatest program on MajorGeeks - MyPhoneExplorer. The snapshots I posted was thanks to MyPhoneExplorer. You can backup all your Contacts, Messages, Photos, Videos, Logs, etc. And you can send messages and make calls via MyPhoneExplorer. Connection is via USB, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/myphoneexplorer.html

You have to install the MyPhoneExplorer Client on your phone - no need to visit Google, it's in the system files, just copy it to your phone. Give it a try.

7. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I'm trying to download it to the phone, but it seems to be hanging - been a while.

I'm not familiar with the process on the phone as far as opening the download, if it ever completes.

All it is doing is redirecting me to other pages.:confused

I'll let you know the outcome.:wave

How do I copy from system files to the phone?

8. Eldon

Many smartphones have a 1 Mbps modem - that's awfully slow. Download it on your PC. Install it, then open Program Files > MyPhoneExplorer. The file you need on your phone is mpeclient. You can transfer it to your phone via USB cable or Bluetooth. On your phone you just click the file and it will install.

9. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I just tried the MightyText link again and it Worked! It had something to do with the Hangouts app pre-installed on phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.texty.sms

I sent this link to the smartphone - http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday

It's really cool - move your mouse back and forth and it goes from 1944 to the present.

Thanks for all your help - it must be pretty late where you are.

I also found the Messaging button - looks like a wishbone on upper right.rolleyes

Paul

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  10. Eldon

Your welcome. It's 2:40 AM but I'm off tomorrow. I'm sure you're going to enjoy using MyPhoneExplorer. With everything backed up to your PC, you don't have to worry about the phone braking or losing it.
    And yes, that link is just amazing.

11. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Thanks AGAIN!:wave

I just installed it from my pc ( it recognizes my phone), and the app is now there.

12. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Hey Eldon,

A few days ago we both answered a question from Cheryldana, re: mp3 conversion and that post as well as her profile are gone.

Do you know what happened?

Thanks

Paul

13. Eldon

No idea.

14. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Okay thanks Eldon,

I've been getting used to the phone more everyday.:cool

I was using 80% of battery for the first few days after 4 hours rolleyes and found that by simply reducing screen brightness to 25% ( which is still fine) and closing all running background apps, I can now go 48hrs!:-D

Thanks again for your help on the link prob.

Paul

15. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

fyi web.airdroid.com is an awesome app that can help with this.

16. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Thanks - looks interesting.

I was using Mightytext, which is similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds