Any advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Crimson1077, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Crimson1077

Crimson1077 MG - Offical "Active" Team Member

Around about March of last year I've decided to Learn Computers! And I've learned a lot! Mostly my OS Windows and Programs! I pretty much got a lot of the basics down pat and i learned a lot!! In just 1 year! There was a lot of Frustrating times... :banghead but i learned to walk away! But now i need some advice on what else could i learn? :confused I know there's a lot to learn but where to start?? And what? Maybe you could help point me in a good direction? I love Computers so much I've became such a Geek and I'd love to do this for a Career!! Whether IT or etc! I've been working on Computers lately too mostly Fine tuning and tweaking!:major

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

As for advice if you are just learning I would take the tuning and tweaking slow and ask for specific advice here before making too many changes to your operating system. If that is what you are doing. First use the Search option here on MG and read about things you are considering doing.

The Major Geeks Forums will teach you many things if you take the time to read! There is lots of good information here on MG and you can learn a lot just by reading the forums on topics of interest. Plus it might save you from making serious.mistakes with tuning and tweaking. If you get in trouble ask for help from the great Geeks here at MG.

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Also ALWAYS do a Backup before you make changes to Operating System.

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

One thing to help gain experience- I started getting cheap computers at yard sales, flea markets and sometimes in local shopper papers. Some real cheap. I used the chance to start swapping drives, ram, video and sound cards and even get a look at how it all plugs together. Also found plenty of software even programming discs to get my feet wet. And that way I had a chance to learn without using my main computers as guinnea pigs. Have fun!!

5. Crimson1077

Crimson1077 MG - Offical "Active" Team Member

Already got that part covered! :)

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

You could also start scavenging your local landfill, and even give away what I affectionately call "Franken-PCs" to those who need them.

Old P4 laptops are great for Linux installs.

7. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

That was my thinking as well. I've been running Linux and the BSDs since 2002 and am very fond of them.

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

You could always do what I did and start learning how to remove malware.

9. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Why bother when you will do it for us:-D

10. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

For the second time, that was Doc!! :-D Not me. I was telling him what you guys were saying, and he just didn't listen. Don't you remember, we called him the PC serial killer... roflmao

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds