Can Ping out, but no browser display?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kattmarl, Dec 23, 2004.

1. kattmarl

kattmarl Private E-2

Hey Everyone!
    Thanks for reading my thread - I'm a newbie! [bows to you all] :cool:

I'm really perplexed with a networking/Internet issue.

I have an XP machine which, for some unknown reason, was bumped off the Intenet.. and now I can't get any display in my Firefox or IE browsers.

I have a LAN set up, Linksys Router, with DHCP enabled... have a few other computers hooked up - which are able to access the Internet just fine.

The XP machine was hammered with spyware, I ran Adaware and Spybot, cleaned everything away.. and when I rebooted - no Internet connection. I was told that something might have messed up the Winsock - so I ran lspfix.exe - which seemed to have at least released the IP info.

I'm not well versed in XP - so I don't know if I accidentally removed something XP needed when I scanned for malware.

Here are the current settings:
    Set manually (although Router is using DHCP)
    Node type: Unknown
    IP 192.168.1.103
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    DNS 24.52.223.218

I can ping to the DNS and also within my LAN.. I can tracert to an IP outside.. and it seems to find stuff by direct IP.... but, I can't get any display in my browsers.

When I enable DHCP on the machine, I keep getting another IP address:
    169.254.2.147... and of course that last 147 varies each time I boot.. With these settings (outside my IP range?) I can't connect, or even Ping anything.

Not sure if this matters.. but I checked my Host file, which only has 127.0.0.0 Local Host in it...

WHAT DID I DO??? How can I fix this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Might even get a big kiss! ;)

~ Katt

2. RickM

RickM Private First Class

A couple of things please. Do you have multiple NIC cards? If find it strange that you select DHCP on your PC and you do not get an address from the router. That is very strange, I have a Linksys router and use DHCP and NAT all my addresses internal. I do know from time to time I have had to reboot my router when Road Runner decides to change my IP's or change their DNS. Type
    "ipconfig /all" and paste the results in here... Thanks

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

kattmarl,

Welcome to Major Geeks. Hope we can solve this thing.

Just to help diagnose the problem and rule some things out:

1. Do you have sp2 installed?

2. What kind of anti-virus and firewall are you running?

Steve

4. Dude1010101

Dude1010101 Corporal

if you happen to have norton it caused problems for me and the same issue

5. prozak

prozak Private E-2

Im having very similar problem, does anyone know the solution ?

I ran search and destroy, now i can browse my network, and ping. I cant browse sites, get email or use terminal services. HELP!

6. lanerr59

lanerr59 Private E-2

i am also having the same problem, I have Norton and then I downloaded ad-aware, and i think thats how it all started. I think the problem can be solved with the help of higher ranking geeks. :cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds