moving a slave drive to be a slave drive on another computer (two operating systems)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JSunstar, Jun 6, 2007.

1. JSunstar

JSunstar Private E-2

Hey. I'm sure this was answered elsewhere, but I didn't see any posts on moving a secondary drive over to be another computer's secondary.

I have an old Pentium 3 with two hard drives on it (a 18GB and a 120GB) on Windows 2000.

Now I just bought a computer that is running Windows XP and I intend to move the 120GB hard drive over to be the secondary drive.

The 120GB was the secondary/slave drive, so I'm wondering: do I still need to follow all the steps including formating it to be current with the new OS or can I just plug it in and it works automatically?

In a less wordy way: does it have system files on it that need to be deleted or will it work perfectly from the start?

I used Seagate's DiscWizard to install the slave drive on my old computer, which was easy enough, but that was a empty hard drive.

2. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

Re: moving a slave drive to be a slave drive on another computer (two operating syste

Win XP will just auto detect it and away you go. You won't need to install anything. It will perform better if you formatted it NTFS previously but if it's still FAT32 it will still work fine. Start using it.

3. JSunstar

JSunstar Private E-2

Re: moving a slave drive to be a slave drive on another computer (two operating syste

Thanks for your quick response.

Another question to add on to that though:

Say I have games installed on the secondary, would I need to re-install them for them to work properly with XP?

4. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

Yes, you will.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds