HP Quick Launch Button software, is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Software' started by usafveteran, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I bought a Compaq Presairo Notebook PC in July 2007. As any of you who have bought a Compaq or HP computer know, HP installs a lot of their software on their computers. This is includes HP Quick Launch Buttons 6.10 B9, HP Total Care Advisor, HP Update, HP Wireless Assistant, HP NetworkAssistant, and Compaq Connections. I'm very tempted to remove all of it.

Anyway, during a phone call to HP Tech Support, I queried the guy hard to get a clear answer to this question. What is the purpose of HP Quick Launch Buttons 6.10 B9? What does it add that Windows' Quick Launch bar lacks? I could not get a meaningful answer to the question.

Does anyone know what it does, and what would be the impact, if any, of removing it?

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think I just realized the answer. The F keys, some of them, apparently function as quick launch buttons for various functions other than the standard F key functions. For example, the F5 key has a small moon image to represent Sleep mode. If I hold the fn key down and press F5, the computer goes into sleep mode.

I'm wondering if I'm missing some documentation that should have come with this computer. I have no user's guide that explains these special quick launch buttons.

When I called HP support to ask about the purpose of the Quick Launch Buttons software, I was thinking maybe it basically did the same thing as Windows Quick Launch toolbar. I clearly stated so when I talked to the support guy. Yet, he didn't recognize the fallacy of my thinking and he said nothing to explain that the software's purpose is to enable f keys to function as certain quick launch buttons, beyond the standard f-key functions.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My HP didnt come with docs either, but what you discovered, is what its for.

:)

Speaking of which, there is a security update to it this month.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Thanks. And, I did get the security update.

5. labwtj

labwtj Private E-2

I keep getting this error message saying "beyond Quick Launch Button message windows" not sure what.s causing this error

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome. :) I'm going to close this thread as it's 5 years old.

Please start a New thread for your issue and give as much detailed information as you can regarding your problem and your computer.

To do so, look in this forum (Software) at the top left for the brown 'New Thread' button.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds