UAA - Microsoft KB888111

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It seems that the UAA driver/hotfix for HD audio has been giving lots of people big time headaches recently. For some reason, Microsoft has shrouded this particular hotfix - KB888111 - in secrecy and cloaked it under a veil of obfuscation, making downloading this driver/hotfix almost impossible. Yes, there are 3rd party UAA add-ons and drivers out there (like there's a couple from HP, there's one at Softpedia), but the actual Microsoft KB888111 has been next to impossible to locate. BUT.... here it is! I was looking for something totally different when I stumbled across it. I have downloaded it and scanned it for malware and it's clean. It is from a 3rd party web site, but it is the true KB888111.exe as it was originally released from Microsoft. Here's the link:
    http://hf.xable.net/files/KB888111.exe

It's a direct download link, so when the link is clicked on, the download dialog will open and you won't be routed to another web site. While I did download and scan the file, I DID NOT INSTALL IT. So I cannot vouch for anything other than the fact that it is the original MS file. I can't guarantee that it will fix your sound problems or make you breakfast. But there it is. Hopefully it will help someone.

[dlb]
    :major

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

NOTE- if you get a PHP 404 error when using the link above, open a new browser window and copy-n-paste the link into the address bar.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Thanks, dlb. I added that to the other links I have. (which seem to not be working lately) :(

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It's been over 6 or 7 months, an just for the heck of it, I tested the links above and they all still work just fine. Just thought I'd let y'all know! :-D

[dlb]

(the link in post #1 is no longer valid - but the 3 links in post #4 directly above are OK)

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I noticed that around the middle of 08 (or even before that), the driver for my motherboard had the UAA with it.
    I wonder if that's why microsoft doesn't offer it.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Most audio drivers now include the UAA update, but some don't, and sometimes having on its own and not 'bundled' in to a driver can be helpful in repairing driver issues. This is especially true if you're using the Device Manager/Hardware Wizard/Have Disk method of installing drivers; you'd need KB888111 on it's own as an .exe. IIRC, this update was never available directly from Microsoft as a stand-alone download, there's a Knowledge Base article referencing it, but no download. It was part of Windows Updates (I think). I did manage to track down a Microsoft FTP server in Argentina of all places, and I linked to it above. AFAIK, that's the only Microsoft source for this file, and it can be crucial to fixing sound issues....

(actually, KB888111 is an update of KB835221 which was the 1st release of the UAA update)

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Link #1 in post #4 is now dead. :(

Link #2 and #3 still work just fine though.....

(just an update on the state of the links posted)

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Thx, dlb: grabbed and stored (link #2).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds