windows 7 rc ending

Discussion in 'Software' started by nanabell1225, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

I am having a problem with squiggly lines and my pc shutting off. I must have signed up for a trial or something for Windows7 rc. Now I see it is ending and I must purchase or revert back to a previous Windows. I need a step by step to do this, if possible. I usually back up on my pc, but then have a difficult time retrieving my files. Can someone help?:confused

2. Noone

Noone Private E-2

One step at a time. Is your computer just powering itself off without going through a windows shutdown? If so I would first check your CPU fan and make certain it is getting proper airflow to your heatsink. Overheating CPU is the most common cause of system shutdown.

When you installed RC1 on your hard drive, did you upgrade your OS to RC1 or was it a parallel install on the same or seperate partition on your hard drive. You may not be able to remove it if you did an upgrade installation.

As far as seeing how much time you have left on your RC1, go to Start -> Run and type "slmgr.vbs -dlv".

You will see your Evaluation end date. This is when your RC1 will start shutting down every 2 hours.

Your rearm count is how many times you can extend for 30 days past the expiration date.

3. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

My fans are working. I found a message that RC1 will expire on 03/01/10, and this 2 hour shutdown will happen. But I got an error when I went to RUN and typed "slmgr.vbs -dlv". I went to windows support and found too many detailed uninstall infos. I lost my job and cannot afford the paid version of WINDOWS 7. So, I am going to back-up and try to reinstall from my windows cd or windows/old if I can find it. Does Major Geeks have a storage site?

4. Noone

Noone Private E-2

If you like you can install windows to your existing partition without needing to delete your data.

First turn off any file encryption for your users that you have set in your Users control panel applet, so you can read your files easily from your new OS installation.

Then boot from a CD like Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or any WinPE/BartPE/Linux boot disk that you can modify NTFS with, then move all your existing files and folders into a new folder on your hard drive (like "Old OS" or something).

Once you have everything moved to your new folder, your OS won't boot from the hard drive, so you will need to boot from an install CD.

When it asks you how you want to format the partition, tell it to NOT format, but use the existing partition as it is. This will install a copy of you OS on the hard drive but leave your old files in tact.

You should be keeping external backups of any data you need anyways... so before you start go get some CD/DVD media or an external hd and backup everything you want to keep.

On the fan thing... make sure there isn't a layer of dust lint trapped between the heatsink and fan or somewhere else. Also check to make sure the heatsink is tight on the CPU. While it's running, you can carefully touch the CPU heatsink with your hand to see if it's hot. If it's too hot to comfortably keep your hand on (be careful!) while it's running then you do have a cooling issue.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  5. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

My screen is so garbled that I have to print your reply to read it. I was trying to do a backup with cd's but now I do not have that drive.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Onboard or a video card?
    If you do not know, what is the brand and model of computer.

7. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

OK, I backed up to my hard drive, reinstalled with my e-machines cd. Squiggly lines are gone!!;) I have been updating all day. I can retrieve my files 1 x 1, except I had to reinstall firefox. Did I do "OKAY"?:confused

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the squiggly lines are gone, I'd guess it was a corrupt video driver rather than a failing video chip or card.
    So yes, you are good to go!

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Did you do OK, well if your PC is all back to normal with previous Windows version all working ok and no devices in Device Manager with any Yellow ! Marks, plus all your applications working ok, including security applications, your Windows version fully upto date with lates Service Pack and updates.

Then yes YOU did GREAT :)

10. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

Thank You! You truly are "MAJOR GEEKS"!!! I did have Yellow ? but learned how to fix them on an earlier post!:p Everything is doing great. Bye!:wave

11. rocky5857

rocky5857 Private E-2

If you think that it is a problem with your OS or any files missing or corrupt. Then you may want to do a system restore which will revert all the settings to the day when ur PC was working fine. In Xp:Just click on start>All programs>accessories>system tools and then select system restore. In Vista: Type system restore in the search box. Once you have the system restore page up. just click next and from the calendar window select a date when you think your system was working fine and click next and finally click finish and the system will restart to revert the settings. hope this helps.

12. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

Thanks Rocky!! This problem has been resolve!! I'll keep ur advice close by for future reference. :wave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds