XP Runs CHKDSK on Startup and Freezes

Discussion in 'Software' started by martdcx1, Mar 13, 2006.

1. martdcx1

martdcx1 Private E-2

Every time my laptop boots up now it automatically runs CHKDSK, goes through the 3 stages, completes all stages, and then sits there "completed." I waited about 30 mins, came back and it was still sitting there "completed." So the only way to boot up now is to press any key within 10 seconds to cancel the auto CHKDSK. Can anyone help me?

2. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I assume you are running XP. Go to My Computer, right click on your C drive, select Properties, click on the Tools tab, and under Error Checking, select Check Now. Are both boxes unselected? Make sure they are NOT selected, and then hit OK. Reboot, and let's see what happens.

3. martdcx1

martdcx1 Private E-2

I made sure both boxes were unchecked, clicked on "Start." It ran through the process again and after phase 2, an error box popped up saying it was unable to complete the error checking.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds