Sometimes I get = "DISK BOOT FAILURE,INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TIA4EVER, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TIA4EVER

TIA4EVER Private E-2

I'm getting this error about 2 out of 3 times I try and start my computer. When it does boot into Windows XP, everything works fine.

What could be wrong?

EDIT: I just ran Belarc Advisor it's telling me "SMART Status: Healthy"

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

smart status is not always right check all ur cables and bios settings if those check out it might be time for a new hard drive :p

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Tia,

It's trying to tell you that it's haveing problems reading the Boot Drive's system files. Grab a Hard Drive test and Check throughly. Scan Disk, Chkdisk, Driver maker's down load etc. A real test will take a great amount of time.

Good Luck, Jim

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Look in the BIOS and be sure your hard drive is set as the first boot device.

Also this from an HP tech

5. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

did any of you read the first post ?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yes, that's why I posted the info about turning SMART status off and also about checking to see what the computer is actually trying to use for the first boot device. It could be the computer is trying to boot from a floppy or a non-existent network drive rather than the hd or the optical drive.

7. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

thats not a issue that would start " out of the blue" bios settings don't change them selfs ..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds