Cant open programs after using Registry mechanic

Discussion in 'Software' started by isyantamburaci, Jun 2, 2004.

1. isyantamburaci

isyantamburaci Private E-2

Hey, I just got a big problem.
    I installed registry mechanic, and suddenly I couldnt open ANY programs. First i tryed opening the programs by clicking on their icon. But I get this Error message: This file havent got any program accosiated to do this action.
    And then I tryed to open the programs by C:\program\
    But that didnt work.
    And now i cant even open the SystemRestore program....I really want to have my windowsXP as it used to be.....

And ive tryed to reinstall the Registrty mechanic program, but it doesnt work
    I really cant open any program, The only programs I could open was Mozilla and Msn-messenger.(but to open messenger I had to klick on "open with" and then pick Msn messenger, and that doesnt work with the other programs!)

Whats the problem.......and does anyone know how to fix this??
    PLEASE HELP ME!

2. Ciz

Ciz Corporal

I had the same problem with that.

I think it is something to do with the entries that are removed, I had made a full back up of ma reg as I tend to test a lot of them to see which I like (and to cure problems such as this)

have you checked the registry mechanic dir to see if it created a back up of the entries removed?

Been a while since I tried it...

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I make no guarantees here so back up your stuff before you do this.

copy and paste this into notepad

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

save the file as EXERESTORE.REG

make sure there is NO .TXT extension on this file. Save it to your desktop or someplace where you can find it easily. The icon should look like a bunch of small blue buiding blocks. This is a registry file.

AFTER you are sure you've made all the proper backups that you require, double click on this reg file and hit yes at the prompt. Then try out opening files.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what's the verdict?

5. Ciz

Ciz Corporal

well, in my case it is to make sure that before you start altering reg keys etc, make a full reg back up...

but you aint asking me...

isyantamburaci?

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

no..was wondering if isyant fixed the problem he was having..

7. Ciz

Ciz Corporal

exactly what I was wondering :D

8. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

If he can't run programs, how can he run registry mechanic?

His options are:
    1. Reformat and install.
    2. Repair install.
    3. If it's XP and not ME, recovery console, back up all the files in %systemroot%\config\ (move *. *.BAK) and then copy either the recovery or repair registry from %systemroot%\repair\ to %systemroot%\config\ (copy %systemroot\repair\*. %systemroot%\config\). (MSKB) Then you boot into Safe Mode, and you should be able to use System Restore.

#3 is the least damaging, but if something other than the registry that's fubar, it won't work.

9. isyantamburaci

isyantamburaci Private E-2

Hello, I still cant fix the problem. Something wierd has happend to my computer......and ive tryed to make that file and doubble klick on it! But it didnt work.....
    Mayb its best to bring it to an computer shop.

But I really wanna thank u guys for helping me out......thanx!

PS.: is there an easyer way to fix this problem than taking it to an computer shop??? : DS

10. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, any one of the three options I listed should work. If you're not comfortable with them, then I'd take it to a PC shop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds