Copying files between systems with external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hometownparrothead, Dec 6, 2005.

1. hometownparrothead

hometownparrothead Private E-2

I would like to swap my office and personal computer, is it possible to copy a program or program files onto an external hard drive and then copy it onto the other computer. I have a Maxtor one touch external drive but dont really know how to use it, it is being used to make a backup of my business computer. My only other alternative is to call the software company and pay them to help me move it from one system to the other. Thank for any help.

2. AngelOfDeth

AngelOfDeth Private E-2

I would say.. that you can copy program files to the external, then transfer them to another machine, however, you may not be able to do ALL of the program file folders.

Also, some of the files that you may want to copy.. need to be in the system registry already... otherwise ... i don't see why you can't transfer some files over.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds