Voltage Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdolgner, Jan 8, 2006.

1. cdolgner

cdolgner Private E-2

My Computer Will Just Not Turn On, If I Jiggle The On Off Button Attached To The Mobo It Will Start. Then When It Comes Up It Say I Had A Voltage Failure. I Have No Idea What This Error Message Is. Is It The Power Button Or My Power Supply. This Happens All The Time. It Will Also Random Reboot And Then I Get The Same Message. Voltage Failure. Thanks

Carol

2. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

I've come across a few bad power buttons, but can't recall seeing a "voltage failure" error. Do you have (or can you borrow) a multimeter to check the voltages coming from the power supply. An easy way is to just check one of the unused connectors that connect to drives, fans, hard drives, etc (you should have at least one or two unused ones, if not ...disconnect a CD or DVD drive).
    Set multimeter to voltage DC and put the black probe in the black wire hole, then the red probe in the following: yellow = 12 volts and red = 5 volts. The best test is to check the voltages on the MOBO connector which has 20 pins. Do a search to find the voltages and how to do it (it has to stay plugged in while testing).
    Chances are its a bad power supply. See if you can buy a power supply with the understanding that you can return it if its not the problem.
    Good luck, DCO

3. cdolgner

cdolgner Private E-2

i do have a new power supply that i bought for another computer i have, i can try it. thanks i will do that, the voltage checker thing, i dont have one and not sure i would know what it was telling me anyway. thanks so much

carol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds