Windows 7 (defender plus avast)

Discussion in 'Software' started by MarkTex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. MarkTex

MarkTex Private E-2

Hello,
    I am new on here, been looking at post for the past few days for info found it very helpful.
    couldn't quite find an answer to this one though hope i didn't miss an obvious answer.

I just bought a "Eee PC" from Asus (one of those little 10.1" screen "netbooks")
    need it for school, MS Office suite programs, so the little Mhz and RAM aren't a problem.

It came loaded with Windows 7 "starter" I am using the built in firewall, and windows defender (i have heard these are both pretty good with windows 7)
    I still needed an antivirus though, so having heard lots of good things about Avast! I downloaded and started using that.

So windows tells me (in their -Control Panel--system and security---action center) that I am running two "spyware and unwanted software protection" programs and that this could cause my system to run slow.

windows checks to make sure you have a firewall, virus protection, backup, and spyware and unwanted software protection.
    So it seems that Avast! counts as 2 of these.

the question: Should I
    (a) not worry about it keep running both
    (b) stop running windows defender (Avast! is good enough)
    (c) stop running Avast! get another antivirus instead (if this is case then which will be ONLY a virus protection and nothing else)
    or (d) something else all together?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Windows Defender is an anti-spyware program.

Avast! contains anti-spyware program components. It is likely to be better than Windows Defender.

Therefore I would disable Windows Defender.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi MarkTex

I'm on a Samsung N110 netbook at this very moment with Windows 7 HP and running Avast 5 and Defender, they run ok, but I would maybe do what I tend to do with AVs and Avast is in a custom install and only install the File, Web, Network and Behaviour Shields as you are covered with those, no need for the others and this will reduce the overheads on Ram and CPU.

Sadly at present MSFT Security Essentials does not have behaviour (Heuristic) type component to just see if a file maybe malware its relient on signatures over Avasts behaviour shield that looks at similarities to malware.

I do run MSE on 2 laptops as part of the ongoing beta on that app and still calling for it to have Heuristic's built in.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  5. MarkTex

MarkTex Private E-2

If it is best for me to do a custom install of Avast! and only install select parts (File, Web, Network and Behaviour Shields) should I remove Avast! and reinstall it? If this frees up resources then it is worth it as I am trying to make the most of my 1.67Ghz Intel Atom N450, and 1GB ram.

I am running Windows 7 (starter) built in firewall and Avast! 5.0 and nothing else now, I turned Windows Defender off.
    This Netbook is free of any malware,viruses,spyware or any of that stuff, trying very hard to keep it that way. :)

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Mark

Yes uninstall Avast and do a custom install and only install the items I mentioned, also to aid you in keeping malware off your PC and as this application does not use resources as it doesnt run in the background is to install Spywareblaster , basically what it does is to add to the exceptions list of both IE and Firefox known bad ActiveX and website urls, that propogate malware, this is just a quick and easy form of defence, just needs a manual update each week, unless you want to pay for the auto updating version, but manual update is free.

I think this app in Spywareblaster is a must on netbooks where resources are limited in the main, I do have 2GB in mine which helps.

Mark seems like you are doing a great job at keeping it free of malware, just remember the main areas to focus on are update Windows and your software, including antivirus etc and dont p2p and make sure you know a good safe site to download applications from like Majorgeeks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds