Unable to connect to router - everyone's baffled

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stogie, Jul 20, 2006.

1. stogie

stogie Private E-2

I recently bought a new computer. On my first attempt to hook it up to my home network, it caused an IP address conflict with the only other computer on the network. Afterward, it simply wouldn't connect to the router.

The NIC must be fine, because it connects when I hook it straight into the cable modem. However, this is only a temporary solution.

I've downloaded and installed the latest version of the ethernet driver from the motherboard vendor, and reset the router and modem. However, it still won't connect; I have to unplug the router and plug the computer directly into the cable modem.

I can get my old computer to connect perfectly well using the same cable in the same router port.

I've been over this with the motherboard and the router vendors' tech support crews; each claims that it must be a problem with the other company's equipment. Each also claim that there are no known issues with the other company's hardware.

IP address will release, but not renew, when plugged into the router.

Please help!

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks

Do you have the ips on the 2 computers configured manually. Try setting them to obtain automatically from the DHCP server on the router.

Matt

3. stogie

stogie Private E-2

Matt.Chugg:

Thanks for the reply, addresses were already set to automatic obtain.

Still no connectivity.

Cheers

4. stogie

stogie Private E-2

Here's tech support log from router vendor:

It's great that they sent me their support comments, maybe this is clearer than my explanation:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Mark has a computer on the DI-524 that is functioning perfect
    Mark's computer that cannot work
    - Disabled firewalls
    - Checked LAN IP = 192.168.0.100 Default gateway 192.168.0.1
    - Pingged 192.168.0.1 (request timed out)
    - Mark has had the DI-524 for 9 months
    - Released IP = 0.0.0.0
    - Changed ports on the router (port 3)
    - Renewed LAN IP = 192.168.0.100 Default gateway 192.168.0.1
    - Set static IP = 192.168.0.101 Default gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS 4.2.2.2 Alternate 192.168.0.1
    - Obtain auto is now selected
    - Mark will troubleshoot computer

Mark will call back.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

5. pari22

pari22 Corporal

hey stogey,

Can you try (temporally), putting in the exact same IP settings as the working PC? And try ping the router.
    of course, turn off or disconnect the working pc when trying to connect.
    And can you also check your router's security settings? did you by any chance set "mac filtering" on for security reasons?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds