Dvd Writer is showing up as CD drive when Blank DVD's are inserted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SomeDude, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SomeDude

SomeDude Private E-2

Hey guys,
    I've used these forums before but my account was linked to an old email and I can't get the pass back lol, anyway, that's not what i'm here for.
    I have a Pioneer DVR-108, this has been in my computer since about march and I have had absolutely no worries with it, I mainly use it for backing up my DVD's and some of the data on my computer, however yesterday I was having trouble backing up a dvd, it would not work lol, so finally DVD shrink decided it could do it with the lp of AnyDVD and it ripped it to the computer, however when it asked for a blank disc I inserted one and it could not read it, so I tried several different blanks and all had the same worry. I put a movie in the drive after this and it read fine, as did the CD I tried after that, unfortunately I have no blank CD's to test with though. so I restarted my PC and put a blank DVD in again, and when I looked at 'My Computer' my drive was now showing as "CD drive" and the Autoplay option list appears with the title "Blank CD". Once again I tried a DVD which played, and a CD also, I then tried one of my backed up(burned) DVD's and that also played fine. I have tried removing my DVD Rom drive and my DVD+-RW drive and switching them round which obviously had no effect, I uninstalled AnyDVD, nero, DVD Shrink and any other related burning software and still got the same result unfortunately. So I tried system restoring, which also did absolutely nothing. I've been to the pioneer website and downloaded the FirmWare upgrade 1.20 which says device not available and I have then gone to the trouble of borrowing a friends Writemaster DVD burner which also gives me the exact same result... I've run virus checks etc. on my pc and there doesn't seem to be anything(not that I could even believe a virus or anything else could cause this, just to be safe). I have no idea what to try from here except a fresh install of windows which I am really trying to avoid as I really can't be bothered to get another HDD so that I can back up my entire pc without a burner... i have searched google and there seem to be many people who have had this problem paticularly with TssTcorp and Pioneer drives. Anyone who believes they can help please do, i'm fresh out of ideas..

2. rmoore

rmoore Private E-2

just a shot in the dark...........would it matter if your using dvd+rw or dvd-rw?? some older drives didnt support the +disc.. remember playing burnt movies on the first slim ps2??

3. SomeDude

SomeDude Private E-2

Hehe, as I said dude, it's a DVD+/-r drive... So I wish it would but nah, anyone else with any ideas?

4. rmoore

rmoore Private E-2

just checking. you said the drive had been around for a while...

5. SomeDude

SomeDude Private E-2

Yeah, cheers anyways dude, I think i'm just gonna have to reformat, I mean... i've got a fair idea with computers I just couldn't solve this and the only other thing I ever got stuck with on a PC these guys solved for me which was great lol. Where are you geniuses now? :p

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try deleting the upper and lower filters then go into Device Manager and uninstall your DVD drive then reboot and windows should re install the devices driver.

7. SomeDude

SomeDude Private E-2

Hey dude.
    I will try that, but could you just let me know what upper and lower filters are? I've worked on plenty of pc's but i've never come across them lol... I guess i've just never had a need before.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

They are device filters for various hardware components and in the case of CDROM filters various burning apps install them too, which is why in some cases they become corrupted and deleting them is best option to get the CD/DVD drive to recognise not only CD/DVD media but even by the OS.

Most devices in Dev Mgr have filters but its not good practice to delete any, this one is a well know hiccup with CD/DVD drives, hence the Microsoft KB on how to fix.

Quick thing you can try is go into Dev Mgr and click your CD drive and choose properties > details tab and in the dropdown you may see all or some of the following..... Device Upper Filters, Device Lower Filters, Class Upper Filters, and Class Lower Filters, click one and it will show you the driver associated with it.

Once deleted the Upper and Lower filters usingt he MSFT KB steps, you may just need to re-install your burning app again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds