installation disk windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by engineerlr, Aug 26, 2014.

1. engineerlr

engineerlr Private E-2

Hi
    After much trouble getting my laptop to start up quicker and speed it up, I decided to do a reinstall. It will also remove any malware etc that I havent been able to remove. I'll also take the opportunity to get a new HDD.

I have use Bellarc to get the key for the pre-installed win 7 and have tried factory default reset. However the laptop reports that installation files are not available and requires a disc, which I dont have.

Anyone know how/where I can get a windows 7 (64bit) installation disc. I am assuming I can use my existing product key.

Thanks

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

This link is from another thread here in the hardware section:

You'd need to locate the proper version for your computer (Home, Professional, Ultimate) in the proper format (x86 for 32-bit, x64 for 64-bit) and burn the ISO to DVD. Your Product Key should work.

3. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If this is an OEM machine which had Win 7 pre-installed the product key you see in Belarc won't work. The key you need will be in COA sticker on the case somewhere. The key in Belarc is a batch key used during manufacture.

5. rustysavage

And once again, Earthling snatches us from the fiery pits of hell ;)
    Belarc informs the user of precisely what Earthing says... in a tiny footnote at the bottom of the printout. Apparently, there is a way to convert the Belarc-provided "batch" key to a genuine key by following the instructions provided by this link:

http://www.belarc.com/msproductkeys.html

I gave it a shot but got tripped up and couldn't complete it.

Oh well, what's one more coaster.

6. engineerlr

engineerlr Private E-2

thanks for the help so far - I can see a sticker at the bottom of the laptop but my eyes aint wot it used to be, and its a bit faded. I'll see if I can get the code. Ordered a new SSHD which hopefully will arrive tomorrow and will report back how things went.

7. mdonah

My eyes aren't what they used to be either. I had to use a magnifying glass to read my Vista Product Key.

8. engineerlr

engineerlr Private E-2

I am installing imageburnfrom majorgeeks but its a bit annoying that I have no option but to also install opencandy or something like that!

Since I am going to wipe the disk later, it doesnt matter but they must provide option to not install it surely.

To be fair initially I tried to install it from another site (I clicked through an advert which appeared like a post) and that was much much worse for all these adwares.

9. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

10. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Before formatting and installing your flavor of Windoze, make sure you have saved to a USB stick or a CD all of the drivers needed for your particular brand and model of laptop.

Chipset, video, audio, wifi/LAN cards and etc.

Good luck

11. engineerlr

engineerlr Private E-2

Thanks for this.

I did actually uncheck various adwares but had no option but install open candy with imageburn - there was no selection button that I could uncheck. Maybe it was because I had gone part way through installing Imageburn through another site and abandoned it when I realised it was not from Majorgeeks.

Anyways, will know better for the future. These google ads have a lot to answer for because the link I clicked through looked very much like a post on w7forums!!

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You do not need third party software to burn an iso in Windows 7.
    1. Download the iso
    2. Right click and select Burn Disc Image from the menu.
    Done!

13. engineerlr

engineerlr Private E-2

Success with the clean install!! The key on the sticker on the laptop did not have requisite letters. Belarc key however worked. Fantastic- very much quicker.

Did have the drivers backed up but didn't need them - saying that, have yet to test everything.

Have installed MSE as the virus guard and windows firewall (I have used Comodo previously but it was a bit of a pain). Will download MBAM, but any recommendations for something that prevents adware from installing is appreciated (or is MBAM adequate?). Should I also get CCleaner or is there something better to keep the laptop uncluttered?

Also installed adobe, java, MSOffice.

Will create an image just in case I have to do a reinstall in the future.

Thanks for all the help so far-you guys and gals rock!!:):):)

14. rustysavage

MBAM is a fine app when it comes to ridding your system of adware/spyware/PUPs (like Open Candy), should you be unfortunate enough to acquire such malware. Realize however that MBAM will not prevent the installation of malware, as it is not a real-time scanner (continuously scanning in the background), at least not until you purchase and register it. Without registering the product, MBAM only runs when you invoke it to do a scan. After the scan finishes, the app shuts down again. For prevention, you will need to rely on your real-time antivirus scanner to block adware/spyware/PUPs prior to installation of the malware. How well different antivirus apps deal with these types of malware varies greatly from one program to the next. From my recollection of several relatively recent controlled antivirus trials, MSE doesn't do so well in that category. If you want to continue to use MSE and are serious about preventing these types of malware, you should think about registering MBAM so you can use it as a real-time scanner. SUPERAntiSpyware is another comparable app (in terms of malware detection rates) that likewise needs to be purchased in order to be used as a real-time scanner.

15. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

SpyWareBlaster is another very useful, low impact tool for keeping ad/spyware at bay. I've used it for years in conjunction with MSE on multiple computers and believe the two make an effective defence against both virii and other malware.

Was delighted to hear your key in Belarc worked, that's pretty rare with pre-installed systems.

16. plodr

If you don't need java, why install? I have all windows 7 computers in the house java-free. They did not come with java and nothing I used complains about it. Two of the four computers run MS Office so it is not needed for MS Office. One computer runs Corel WordPerfect Suite X6, so that doesn't need java either.
    If you are talking about adobe reader, I'd uninstall that and get a better replacement.

17. engineerlr

engineerlr Private E-2

I dont like Java either but a few websites my kids go to need java and flash and I dont know of any good alternative for adobe.

18. mdonah

I use Sumatra PDF. But, Windows 7 has a PDF Reader that you can download from Microsoft. It's not the best though. I tried it.

19. plodr

Another vote for Sumatra.

Please be sure to keep Java updated. Unpatched Java is one of the main ways malware gets into a computer. (Adobe is a biggie too).

20. rustysavage

And another enthusiastic vote for Sumatra

If you're using Firefox browser you should look into downloading and installing NoScript which is a Firebox browser add-on that allows the user to block Java scripts selectively. You can simply white list the pages your kids use, and allow the app to block scripts while you're surfing unfamiliar sites. Works great and I've seen nothing but good reviews. Given the huge threat that Java poses in terms of malware, it's a no-brainer if you use Firefox.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds