IPhone 4 wont charge

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by brad1431, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

My IPhone 4 starting having charging problems like 3 days ago. I did a chat with Apple and they said that I my charging port is likely dirty and to clean it with a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol and it will likely fix the problem. I did it last night and it worked somewhat, never got my phone fully charge, but up to like 80% and was able to get all my pictures and videos off my phone. I am using 2 apple certified chargers but now today it wont charge again.

I have been waiting for the Ihpone 6 for 4 years so I plan on getting it in eventually, but I was hoping to wait until after the first price drop as the phone are usually insanely expensive when they first come out. But now I can barely use my phone and it is not only my personal phone but my work phone. Obviously I am not going to pay to have it "repaired", as apple says that will be like $170 and I will have to send my phone out which I need for work and personal use. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I will try the brush and rubbing alcohol again tonight, but if it didn't totally fix it before not sure it will now, but I have had this phone for like 4 1/2 years and never a problem and now out of the blue it is barely usable.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Common problem with iPhones and the new one will be no different, one reason why I dumped my iPhone was battery life and issues with charging and updating, but one thing I would try is while cleaning the charging port, also clean the other end of the USB and the chargers port too(do this not with it plugged in) and see how you go.

Double check that no apps are using excessive battery life, close as many background running apps as possible, also your screen is not damaged is it?

Another thought is plug the phone and its cable into a PC/Mac and while its slower to charge, see if that works, but in the end your battery maybe dying as they do not last forever, great marketing ploy with fixed batteries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds