Keyboard not responding between boot and Windows start

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darden, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Darden

Darden Private E-2

Hi
    For some reason I can not choose between the different user profiles that I have in my windows XP when I start my computer.
    My keyboard (ps2) does not respond when I press the up or down key. (I've already tried with Num lock and the 8-key)

It works though fine before (Bios) and after that (windows)

Any idea why? :confused

(What I am doing: I am trying to get a little more power from my computer for gaming.
    I've been following Blackvipers guide for making different profiles at startup.
    Everything went all rigth and I got an extra profile for gaming where many services for windows xp are disabled. The problem is that my keyboard does not let me choose between them)

2. Darden

Darden Private E-2

My keyboard is a usb-keyboard not a PS2 :eek:.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The reason it's not working is because it's USB and the driver for it doesn't get loaded until right before the Windows desktop loads up. It works in the BIOS because the PC is using built-in 'native' USB support which is kind of 'disabled' (for lack of a better term) until Windows installs its own driver. This won't happen with a PS2 keyboard.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, like Dlb said try a PS2 keyboard. Even if you don't have one you can pick one up really cheap.

From Black Viper's:
    He didn't offer a simple solution for USB keyboards, so I doubt there is one. :(

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

The motherboard manufacturer should have an updated BIOS file available. Once the BIOS has been 'flashed' it will probably fully support the USB keyboard. However, any DOS-based flashing process will still need a PS2 type keyboard, and a boot floppy ( or boot CD ) containing the BIOS flash executable-file that is to be installed :)

6. Darden

Darden Private E-2

Hi dlb, sach2 and prometheos

Thank you for your comments.

It's just not logical for me to think that the systems loads the keyboard at the very start and then unloads it for some seconds for reloading another one during windows start. Why not keeping it until it reloads the new one?

Anyway I'll see if I can find an updated driver for this keyboard. Any suggestions where could I get them? (Logitech)
    What about the motherboard which I don't know which mark it is?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds