BSOD - hardware problem or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Combe Dog, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Combe Dog

Combe Dog Private E-2

Hi, I hope someone can help.
    I have a Dell Inspiron mini with a BSOD issue: The error code is 0x0000007B (0xF79E8524, 0xC0000034, ....)
    I can’t start up in Safe Mode. The HDD is Seagate, I have run seatools/DOS which gives the all-clear. I have run all internal Dell diagnostics, all OK. I have tried both repairing and reinstalling Windows (running XP) from the original Dell disc supplied, from XP pro and home. When trying to do a new installation I can’t get past the F8 to agree screen, F8 does nothing so left with no choice but esc to disagree/quit. When tring to repair installation as soon as I have pressed R I’m then taken to a screen which tells me to type exit at the prompt, and can’t get any further.
    I now have no idea whether this is a hardware or software issue, any advice or ideas will be much appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you see INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE?

It could be that the hd in your Dell mini is a SATA drive and XP does not include the drivers.

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Good shout.

You need to have the drivers on a floppy disk and press F6 during setup to add additional RAID devices.

If you can get to the minidump file in c:\Windows\minidump attach it to a post and I will debug it for you.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

5. Combe Dog

Combe Dog Private E-2

Slight delay as have been away for a couple of weeks. Anyway, all sorted! In the end it seemed to be either a scratched XP disc or a bad connection between the drive and laptop, so changed the CD, checked connections etc, lots of patience and got there in the end.
    Simple really but thank you SO much to everyones suggestions. I did think it was a hardware issue to start with. Took it in to local computer repair shop who wouldn't even take it out of its case for less than £40.00, told me it was almost defintely the HD. I know he has to earn a living but not very helpful. It was only suggestions here that gave me the confidence to try a different approach.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds