No Restore points created with system restore turned on

Discussion in 'Software' started by boneyeye, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, I am unable to create a manual restore point. When I try to create a manual restorepoint, I get : The restore point could not be created for the following reason: Catastrophic failure 0x8000FFFF. Please try again. I have googled this error and have not been able to solve prob. My compt. is working well otherwise. I have carried out chkdsk /r which takes a long time and seemes to move around a lot of files. scan /now does not solve it either. Specs: Win Vista Home Premium Ser. Pack2, 32bit, IE9, AVG 2012 updated and run regluarly, Win Firewall, Ccleaner, SuperAntiSpyware-all updated an run reglularly. This happened 1 1/2 yr ago and shortly afterwards my hubby died so my memory is not too good on the whole story. I know I did have some malware at the time which was cleaned and quarentined. Now Hijack This tells me I have some files (see attachment) missing. I am not sure whether I have deleted these in error or that they were damaged at the time of the malware. All scans are clean. Sorry for such a long story but I have only started using computer in the last 3mths. Boneyeye

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Have had a similar problem with XP after cloning the operating system to a new hard drive. Turned the service off and then on (cycled) and it solved my problem, although doing so will delete all restore points...
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=31668

3. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi,TU for answering Bugballou. I have tried that and a lot of other recommendations when I googled the error. Thanks anyhow. Boneyeye

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Have you wiped free space with Ccleaner recently???? That makes Windows delete Restore Points to make disk space, Windows thinks it is low on space.
    Have you tried System Restore in Safe Mode???? I've created points in safe mode a couple of times!!!!

5. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, used Ccleaner to clean free space-no improvement. Have tried System Restore in Safe Mode several times and again when you advised-no go. Thanks for replying Nick T. Boneyeye

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

After you wiped free space you should only have one Restore Point left. Within 24 hrs. you should be able to create a new one. I know ,,you probably tried that!!!! If you can ,,run Malwarebytes Full Scan in safe mode. If you use Avast,,run a boot time scan,,that usually will tell you what files are corrupted. I trying!!!!

7. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi again. There are no restore points being created on my computer, Nick T so there is none left. Also I cannot use Avast as I have AVG 2012 installed. Boneyeye.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Perhaps your husband reduced the space available to system restore to a level too small for it to work. The minimum is 300MB but something around 2GB would be more useful. This article explains how to check that and how to change it too. To run a command as administrator type cmd in the Start > Search box and above, under Programs. where it says cmd.exe, right click it and click Run as Administrator.

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is Volume Shadow Copy service started and set to automatic?

10. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

yes Volume Shadow Copy is on automatic and started but I am getting VSS in Eventvwr on resart of Compt so I go back and check and it is still at automatic. Thanks again. No one has made any coment on Hyjack This log. What are those files that are missing the are all svhost.dlls which I know very little about. Bonayaye

11. tgell

I do not see any attachment for the Hijack this. You may want to post over in the Malware Removal Forum if you think you are infected.

I have a link on System Restore Problems.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html[/url

12. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Earthling, TU for replying. My hubby RIP was not able to use computer and I am the sole user. I tried the cmd on shadowstorage and I just get a black window that flashes off before it can be read. Also when I click the VSS ID it tells me: The VSS service is shutting down due to idle time out. Yet when I go back to Services, Volume Shadow Copy is on Automatic and is started. Could it be just be momenterly shutting down then recommencing again. Thank you all again. Boneyeye

13. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

If it is shutting down then recommencing,,there would seem to be something causing that to happen. Other than the scanners, have you installed or uninstalled any new software,,programs,,or change any settings???? My old granddad would say ,"this is a tough one ,baby".:confused

14. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You need to run cmd.exe (as administrator) first, that should open the command window at what is called a DOS prompt. Then you enter the vss commands from there.

15. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Well, NickT I am only guessing that this shuttingdown (which is recorded in eventvwr) is a momentarly one as it is in automatic and started, when Ireturn to Services. Remember it says it is due to idle time out-what is this. I do quite a bit of downloading, installing and uninstalling from the net. But I always use Ccleaner afterwards and do a weekly maintainance and cleaning and updating programe with all utillities listed in my 1st post. Earthling I was able to carry out cmd.exe. I do not have any prob. with space as I have DriveC with 136GBs with 108GBs free. Anyhow it looks as if I have 2 options stay without my system Restore or save all my data and do a PC restore which I have on Recovery(D) Disk. I will leave it for the weekend and let my head clear and see if anyone discovers anything else. By the way sorry about the log it did not attach hope it does now. Boneyeye

16. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

I hope I have now. Boneyeye

Attached Files:

17. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, I am returning from Malware Forum andTimW tells me my computer is clean after completing all those logs. Now I asked for someone to look at Hijack This log (not for infection purposes) because It says that there are 5 files missing and I feel these may have been deleted in erroe by me or damaged 1 1/2 yrs ago. Could these missing files be the cause of my problems. I have now noticed that I cannot start in normal mode when I change from Selective Startup to Normal Startup, Also I have no Int or AntiVirus in Safe Mode. Also whe I restart I get an error that backup has failed. Please , Please someone look at my Hijack Log. In anticipation of a resolution soon. Boneyeye

18. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Your logs were already reviewed in the Malware Forum and they are clean. You are not missing any files. You are using an outdated copy of HijackThis. Your logs in the Malware Forum, included a log from a proper version of HijackThis and there are no problems. HijackThis has many bugs. One of them is incorrectly reporting files missing when they are not.

19. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi Chaslang, TU most sincerely for your comments. they certainly have reassured me. I was obviously on the wrong track, and I did not realise I was using an old version of Hyjack This. TU again. Boneyeye.

20. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi tgell, as you can see now my computer is is stated as clean after checking in at Malware Forum . Now I have done sfc /scannow by command prompt and got the following: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details in c://windows/logs/CBS/CBS.log same attached. Hope someone can help here. TU Boneyeye

21. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

See below

22. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Sorry the manage attachments window says the files size is1.26MBs which exceedsthe limitof375KBs. Please advise me from here TU Boneyeye

23. tgell

Other than making sure Volume Shadow Services is running, I do not really know of what else to do except maybe a repair install but you will need an install disk and it would not be a bad idea to retrieve your Windows Key with a keyfinder in case it asks for one during the repair install. Is all of your important data backed up to an external drive?

Another option is to forget System Restore and use software like RollBack Rx that takes snapshots of the system. If you only want to back up the registry on a regular basis, then Erunt or Regbak are good. But doing regular image backups with something like Macrium or Todo is the best way to go in my opinion.

If you have an install disk, and all your data is backed up, it would probably be best to do a fresh install if you have the time.

24. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

tgell, TU so much for answering again. I think I will choose fresh install, as I have a reinstallation DVD that came with the computer, and drivers and utillities, Microsoft Works9 and Dell Media Direct all of which came with compt. Than what do about SP2. I would appreciate help on this. Thanks again. Boneyeye

25. tgell

26. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Thank You so much. I am going to go for clean install. Which do I install after the Windows? Drivers and Utillities or Service Packs. Again thanks for all your help. Boneyeye

27. tgell

Sorry for the delayed response. I would do the fresh install, update the drivers, then the service packs. Finally the Updates.

Edit: Install Utilities after the updates

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  28. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Thanks again tgell, I will go for it now but very slowly seeing that I am a senior citizen. I have saved all my documents. Will be back to you afterwards and let you know how I suceed. Boneyeye

29. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi tgell, have just done a Dell factory Image Restore, and all my documents, photos and favourites saved well. It was the only method that worked on this computer.I would like to thank you for bearing up with me and also everyone else who contributed to trying to resolve the problem. What would we all do without you folks. I really appreciate all your contributions. Goodbye for now until the next prob occurs. Boneyeye

30. tgell

Good job. I am glad you got everything sorted. Thank you for the feedback. :)

31. I know there are several programs similar to Hijack This. Is there one you would recommend as not being so buggy?

32. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This thread is over a year old...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds