firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by slydon, Mar 14, 2006.

1. slydon

slydon Private First Class

I just recently changed my ISP to juno and when I tried to run firefox it didn't work at all. It was working fine on my old computer with xp but this one doesn't. Any ideas?
    Don

System-- Gateway FX400 Intel (R) Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHZ 512 ram 84% free space
    Nvidea 6200 turbo cache 77 drivers
    Windows xp pro media center edition version2002 service pack 2

2. BillC

BillC Private E-2

Changing your ISP should have no effect at all on your browser. More likely, I'm guessing you have a software firewall installed that has yet to recognize the change in your ISP; do you have a firewall other than XP?

3. slydon

Not sure. I am using avg anti virus and don't know whether it has a firewall or not.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Most HTTP traffic uses port 80. Most firewalls DON'T block port 80. AVG Free edition doesn't have a firewall, and I really wouldn't suspect that as a cause anyway. However, if you would like to confirm, windows firewall can be disabled by opening the 'Security Center' in control panel, and clicking the windows firewall link.

Is it only firefox that's having trouble on the internet? Does Internet Explorer work?

5. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Private First Class

What do you mean that it doesn't work at all? Does Firefox start up but won't load any pages? Or does it not load up at all?

6. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think that juno is dial up internet service and you should see if you have the software from the isp installed. If you do have it installed then you may simply need to let that software dial into the iternet connection. This rule applies from AOL because i have worked on a dialup laptop on AOL dialup and i had to have the aol software running to keep the dial up connection active or i would lose connection because it would hang up the connection by closing the software.
    -the new tech guy

7. slydon

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. Firefox loads and looks like it is going to work but then will not open any pages. Internet explorer works fine and I guess I should stay with that. Funny this only happened after I had switched to Juno.

Don

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, you could backup your profile by following these instructions, and attempt a un/reinstall of firefox.

9. Maybe it could be somthing where juno's internet software doesnt like firefox and cannot be compatible.
    -the new tech guy

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

A distinct possibility dependent on which Juno service used, if using SpeedBand it doesnt support any other browsers other than IE at this time http://www.juno.com/support/faq/fata02-what-browsers.html

11. But juno should have come with a browser just like as if someone has AOL they get a browser. If that is the case the juno browser needs to be open to use ANY other browser. Like as i have said, AOL for instance. If you do not have the browser open and try to surf the web on IE, you cannot as the AOL browser is what connects the pc to the internet. So maybe it is a case where you need to run bother their browser and firefox to make firefox conect. As firefox will piggyback on the juno software.
    -the new tech guy

12. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

No, Juno is not like AOL. Juno is just an ISP, AOL is an ISP, web portal, message service, babysitter, and mind control conspiracy.

I have Juno's free service as a backup, in case my regular ISP goes down. It works just fine with Firefox. I haven't installed Juno's search toolbar, though, could that possibly conflict? What type of Juno service do you have?

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Only other option I can think of, in this situation, is that Juno (bar what the greenknight32 says) uses a proxy. One may want to enable "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" under Tools, options, "connection settings" button, within firefox.

14. Oh ok i was not sure about that as i have a dsl connection. Well yeah i would try removing the toolbar to see if that helps.
    -the new tech guy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds