'Generic host process for Win32 services' + svchost.exe - Application Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hoquista, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Hoquista

Hoquista Private E-2

I am having a problem when I restart my computer. I get problems with the 'Generic host process for Win32 services' and it also give me:

svchost.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x009d96bc" referenced memory at "0x00000000." The
    memory could not be "written."

I initially thought it was a malware problem but it was not. I was referred to here from the 'Malware Removal' section of this site - see other thread:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1172318#post1172318

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

2. candyraver

candyraver Private E-2

hey i was getting the same thing. if you are running windows xp it will be the windows service pack 3 (sp3) corrupting your computer there is 2 ways of fixing the problem, first run windows in safe mode if ur computer keeps restarting and uninstall sp3 from add/remove programs goto microsoft website and search for sp3 problems and it should say there are 2 files to delete before installing sp3. or u can reinstall windows and when the updates are ready to download dont auto download choose which ones you want and unselect sp3 and you should be fine, i just bought a new computer recently and my hardware supports vista but i was running xp and i had so much trouble with my computer so i went out and bought vista home premium 32bit oem and now i have no problems, I hope this can help you because ino ow frustraiting this can get..

3. Hoquista

Hoquista Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the problem started while I still had service pack 2 so I don't think that is the problem. Do you (or others) have any other suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds