Windows Installer cleanup setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by mac1025, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

I am having problems with software updating and the windows installer cleanup utility. Going through the installation process a window pops up:

"This feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is not available"

" Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'msicuu.msi' in the box below."

This problem occurred when trying to update Sunbelt Personal Firewall.

Please HELP !!

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I'm not sure what network this message is about. Are you on some network? Is this the full text from the error message?

Anyway, most of Sunbelt's products require .net Framework installed. Version 1.1, - I think. Check what you have in Add/remove programs just to be sure. (Yes, - it's a long shot, I know).

And an awful lot about this error message in this search from Microsofts homepage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  3. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

I am no longer on a network. It is the full text message of the window. I do have .net Framework 1.1

Is there anything else I may try?

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

But you need .net Framework 1.1. A lot of programs can't run without it - several of Sunbelt's programs included. Please check Add/remove programs again under Microsoft .net Framework. Download link here. Language settings are very important in regard to .net Framework. If your OS is not in English, please find the appropriate download link for your country.

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

About the problem with Windows Installer: try Dial-a-fix - download here.

1. Double click the blue gear wheel
    2. Click "Flush Software distribution"
    3. Check mark "Fix Windows update"
    4. Click the GO button - bottom left corner.
    5. Let it run
    6. Reboot
    7. Install the firewall update

About Sunbelt Personal Firewall: is it freeware or a pro version you have?

Sorry, I misread that. :p

6. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

Thanks for the info; I do have the pro version of Sunbelt; very disappointed and thinking of trying another firewall and just delete this mess.

Again,

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Is it the right update link you're trying? They have several on their homepage...

8. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

Yes it is--it was sent to me by email from a Sunbelt tech. Do you have a suggestion for a replacement firewall?

Again, Thanks

:)

9. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Then it's probably not your firewall causing this. We need to find a better idea. I'll start thinking harder... :-D What Internet connection are you on? What provider/company? We need to look at their homepage for support/help/FAQs or whatever they call it...

10. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

It now cannot delete old version of windows installer. Add/Remove won't do it, so where do I go ?
    Centurytel.net is my ISP.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Cordialis, that is news to me! I run CounterSpy v2 on one computer without NET framework and I run VIPRE beta v3 on another computer also with out NET framework installed. Previously I ran CounterSpy 1.5 (first as a beta tester than later as a paying customer) on a computer that I have since donated. It also did not have NET framework installed.
    System Requirements listed on the Sunbelt forum:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher
    IBM Compatible 400MH omputer with at least 256MB of RAM
    Windows 2000 Pro SP4 or greater, Windows XP Gold or greater (Pro, Home, Tablet or media up to SP3), Windows Vista (incl SP1)
    50MB of available hard drive space

mac1025 what version of Windows are you running? Rather than trying to add/remove the windows installer, you should be updating it.

12. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

Windows XP

13. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I think my information was just outdated. I can't find it on their homepage myself. Sorry. :cool They still use Microsoft .net Framework for some of their products this here for example. Only now it's the 2.0 Framework.Link.

You can still see this information here and there. ZDNet still have that written for the enterprise versions here. It used to be written for the one user versions also:

14. plodr

mac1025, I'm off to search about windows installer.
    This "msicuu.msi" has me confused beause this is an old version and from what I'm reading, XP did not ship with this version - that's why I asked your OS.

I'm pretty sure it can't be removed. I'm trying to see how you update it so you no longer see that error.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Windows Installer Cleanup utility (msicuu) doesn't ship with any OS, except under a folder on the XP CD. In other words...it is not installed with the OS ever, unless someone did it themselves.

I would first check add/remove programs and see if it can be uninstalled from there. If not, see below.

I suppose you could try installing msicuu2.exe (updated version) and see if it can cannibalize itself.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

16. plodr

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

msicuu is the old Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

18. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

Search for msicuu.msi yielded no results. Proceeded to download new version,msicuu2.exe; it appeared to successfully download but the file is still in my download folder. I do not understand this!!

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Install it?

20. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

I did install it; however, on a search it is located in my download folder. The installation process finished with a "successful download" window.

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Then you didn't install it.

22. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

i INSTALLED IT AND IT IS WORKING; HOWEVER, IT WILL NOT UNINSTALL SUNBELT PERSONAL FIREWALL. THIS IS THE PROGRAM GIVING ME HEADACHES TRYING TO GET RID OF IT. I AM WAITING FOR TECH SUPPORT TO SEND ME AN UNINSTALLER TO TOTALLY ERASE THIS SOFTWARE FROM MY SYSTEM.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What happens when you try to?

24. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try Revo Uninstaller as this application does work in many cases to get rid of stubborn applications when their uninstaller is broken, also if via add/remove you cannot uninstall this app, try looking in its folder in Program Files for an uninstaller, maybe called uninstall, unwise or unins000.

25. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

I get a window stating I need the cd or source to continue. All I want to do is rid my pc of this software, all remnants.

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You gotta use the Windows Installer cleanup utility, not add/remove programs.

27. mac1025

mac1025 Private E-2

I ran the installer and it worked but folder still had files, so I manually deleted and then ran RegSeeker to cleanup. My system is responding well!!

I really want to thank all of you for your kind and immediate assistance. This is a GREAT site !!

28. plodr

When you download something, anything, to install it, you must physically delete or erase the download folder. No cleanup utility will ever remove that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds