Lost files after "non destructive system recovery"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DubCity, Jan 31, 2009.

1. DubCity

DubCity Private E-2

Hello all, I am really freaking out right now because I just did a "non destructive system recovery" (not system restore) and it seems like some very important files of mine are gone
    I don't know what I was doing. The first time I did the system recovery, I turned off the computer (held the power button) at around 15%, when it said "backing up xp files" or something along those lines. I don't even know why. Then, the computer wouldn't boot to XP and I went back to system reovery, this time I let it go all the way.
    Now, nearly 2-3 hours later, the whole PC looks just like new, with all profiles and customizations gone. I still have most my files, and all my programs.
    Before the recovery, I had 1/2 of my C hard drive used (about 85 gigs maybe?) and now, 70 gigs are on it.
    I cant find most important files, which I wished from the begining was not going to be gone, way more important than my other files, they are pictures we had since i dont know 5 years ago
    Also, some of my programs cannot start, even though all the files in each program folder is still there... (for example, microsoft student, avg, zonealarms, etc) even though some programs still work, like google earth or fl studio (again, my least important files...)

Ok so my very important files were stored in one of my 5 user accounts. It seems right now there's nothing in that account folder under Documents and Settings.
    What happened? Are my VERY IMPORTANT files stored in some hidden folder? Is there a way to get them back?
    All help is sooo appreciated!!!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I hate to tell you this, but when you turned off the PC for some unknown reason, I believe the files were lost. Forever. This power down is also the reason that none of the programs work. When you powered down in the middle of everything, you interrupted the entire process which corrupted it. Also, if the system user profiles were corrupt or messed up before starting the first time, you'd still end up with all the programs being 'disconnected' from the user profile(s). This means that all the programs files are still there (as you mentioned) but none of them work because they have become disassociated from their DLL files and related shortcuts and system files. In my years of experience I have found that when this happens, there is nothing that can be done other than re-installing the programs. As to the lost or missing files.... they are indeed lost. I don't want to rub salt in the wounds, but this is why we recommend that if people have stuff on their PCs that is considered this important, it should ALWAYS be backed up to CD/DVD or external drive on a regular basis, or at least back it all up before starting a Windows reload. Sometimes things don't go as planned (as you discovered) and having a safe back up of your irreplaceable files can be priceless. On the other hand, you can try using the Windows 'Search' feature to scan for a particular file. Select "All files and folders" and be sure to click 'Advanced Options' and to enable searching in hidden/system files and folders (see screen shot).

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds