Windows XP sp3 very slow load of applications and execute of programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by nikodr, Aug 11, 2010.

1. nikodr

nikodr Private E-2

I have a windows xp sp3 installed on my notebook.It used to be fast,i have avira premium installed since the first day,it is clean from malware,but lately it takes ages to start applications like mozilla or internet explorer.

I have no problems with the windows moving (i disabled all effects) but applications are so slow to load and execute.I didnt bother to change anything regarding drivers.I have an intel atom 1.6 ghz with 1giga of ram and my hd is an internal sata 160 giga.

What tests do i need to make before i reinstall windows ?Avira does not seem to be the problem,i always had it and the machine was fast with it.

Kind regards

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

How much free space is on drive C?

Have you ever cleaned dust out of it? If you look in the fan vent opening, can you see some dust in there?

What is the status of the battery? How old is it? Ever replaced it? If you run on battery power, how long will the computer run? Can you run that notebook with the battery removed? Have you tried that? Does it run the same as with battery in?

Have you opened Task Manager to see whether certain process(es) are using a lot of CPU resources?

3. nikodr

nikodr Private E-2

136gb out of 149 are free the disk is defragmented.In the task manager there are not any programs that take up huge amount of cpu.I have not opened the laptop it's small actualy,and have not any dust inside,the battery lasts about 2 hours (that's how it worked since i got it.

One thing that i noticed is that when it starts the logo of windows xp starts fading in very slowly.By fading in i mean there are dark colors that gradually become lighter until it starts the usual windows xp logo.Is that supposed to happen?

That small laptop was bought in april 2009.So it is about 1,5 year old.

Haven't tested it without batter will do now and post you details.

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

When you first install windows that startup screen comes on quickly and the progress bar swipes 3 or four times and your in. As you install more and more programs it takes longer for the screen to come on (preloading apps firewall antivirus etc) and the progress bar starts to make more passes. Most of my machines endup fading in like you describe and making around 13 to 17 passes depending on how many startup apps are in the startup section (run > type "msconfig" no quotes > ok > startup tab). Its very likely that if there is nothing wrong with your hardware then some applications that are running in the background are using your memory and cpu and slowing you down.

There are so many reasons for slow downs its impossible to say, just cause your anti-virus or spyware says your clean doesn't always carry much wieght with new hidden rootkits. A failing hard drive can slow a system down (run smart from a manufacturers utility for your drive) as well as powersupply or video card having problems rendering (as well as corrupted drivers).

Run smart on your hard drive, memtest86 on your memeory and clean your registry. Theres a free version of tuneup utilities 2008 on mydigitallife for version 2008, search it on their site. Its registry cleaner is very safe but I usually disable its automatic one click maintenence as it screwed me once deleting acronis images on my D drive (when you open it, look on the top right for a gear to open settings and turn off one click). It also has a startup editor and a section where you can optimize your PC.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. nikodr

nikodr Private E-2

I believe there may be some hardware problem.You know it's not that the bar in the screen takes longer.I know that.But when that screen is about to be shown there is the problem.

Have you ever played games on older hardware that the game runs at 2-3 frames per second ?When the windows xp boot screen is to be shown it is drawn very slowly!Almost like the screen starts dark colors and gradually fades in in to more whiter colors to be displayed.It seems to me that when this happens it is happening very slowly.Maybe the gfx card has some problem?

Then the windows xp bar takes some time normaly.But when it is to be displayed on screen why the slow down ?Like i am running a game on an old processor that does not have the power to display the frames and does it VERY VERY slowly!

6. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

If thats the case then I would suspect the video card or drivers. First try uninstalling the card drivers and run a free driver cleaner like "driver cleaner pro v1.5" to make sure all drivers are removed. If nvidia select just the work nvida thats the graphic driver and if ATI you'll have to select accordingly CCC and driver wdm etc. Once the drivers are cleaned and you reboot, install the manufacturters suggested video drivers for yor system. Replacing the card will be more involved.

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Take a look at your Startup list and remove all that absolutely need to be there.
    I only have my firewall, SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol on mine.
    Anything else can start as you need them.
    When was the last time you did a GOOD defrag? Files get scattered around and your drive has to jump back and forth to find what is needed.
    A good defrag puts them all together so less hunting is needed.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Appzalien
    Replacing the card may not be possible on a notebook.
    Noy familiar with them, but a guess because of their size.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds