What is causing BSOD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by KVT, Sep 12, 2010.

1. KVT

KVT Private E-2

Please help me figure out what is causing constant BSOD's on this PC. It has a fresh install of windows XP SP3 but the PC itself is not new, so I'm worried that it may be caused by hardware but honestly I have no idea.

I have added 3 latest logs from debugging tool (I hope I did it right).

Any input on how to identify this problem will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Your best bet is to click this link http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=208809 if you haven't already, follow all the instructions, then repost into the malware forum with all the required logs, then, just wait until one of the malware fighterrs get round to helping you out ! ;)

3. KVT

KVT Private E-2

It is definitely not a malware.

I am now experimenting with Memtest86+. It detected errors in one of my RAM modules. I tried two other modules in the same slot and no errors were detected (I ran it only for a short amount of time though). Only one module was inserted for every test.

Now im testing the same module that produced errors on the first run but this time no errors are reported. Maybe a dumb question but could it be that it was not inserted properly 0_o ?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

It very well could be that it was not properly inserted. However, even though this is a fresh install, you might want to go to start / run / and type:
    sfc /scannow and have your xp cd handy.

Run it twice and report to us any thing that was found.

5. KVT

KVT Private E-2

I did start sfc /scannow. Scan finished and nothing happened so I suppose theres no problem with that.

6. TimW

That is good to know. Let me ask this, when you go to device manager are you seeing any X's, !'s, or ?'s?

7. KVT

KVT Private E-2

No, I don't see any of that.

8. TimW

Do you crash in safe mode?

9. KVT

KVT Private E-2

I havent tried safe mode tbh.

I am now running Memtest for the third time for this RAM module and it is reporting errors again (fewer than first time though), so I think RAM is the problem after all. From what I understand this test is kind of random so maybe if I had ran it for longer the second time I would have gotten errors (though I ran it for ~40minutes). RAM module is definitely properly inserted now.

After this test I will swap RAM Modules and see if I'm getting any more crashes to confirm if this module is faulty or not.

Thanks for your input, it is very appreciated!
    I will report after some time with what I will find out.

10. TimW

Do let us know how it goes. I don't know if going to crucial.com would tell you anything or not if the RAM is faulty.:confused

11. KVT

KVT Private E-2

Yes, I can now confirm that crashes were happening because of faulty RAM module. I replaced it with another one, and everything seems to be working fine, no random BSOD's now ;)!

I guess I should have posted this thread in hardware section of forums :).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds