Unable To Connect To Wireless Router - But Can Via Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snacs, Jan 15, 2008.

1. snacs

snacs Private E-2

Hi all
    I am unable to connect to my wireless network from my laptop, but I can connect to my wireless router via cable and works fine.
    This problem started when my laptop became infected - but thanks to abri in the malware forum the laptop has now beeen cleaned up and I'm left with this problem
    The wireless hotkey to enable/disable wireless conectivity is the only hotkey on the laptop that doesn't work.
    But even when I right click the icon in the system tray and "repair" the connection it disables and then enables the wireless network but it still won't connect to the wireless network, and shows no networks in range.
    I know that my wireless network is running - the router shows it to be, and I always have my 2 next door neightbours networks within range whenever I refresh the network list
    I'd appreciate any help anybody can afford me on this as I use my laptop all the time for work (self-employed)
    Thanks
    Daragh

2. Heavenly

Heavenly Private E-2

hi there!!your problem might be that when they cleaned your computer they might have somehow deleted the driver for the wireless connectivity!!!!you should try and re-install the driver,reboot then try again!!!!!!!!

if that doesn't work maybe you might have some sort of security on the actual modem so only you can pick up the signal!!if you try reseting the security and then re-applying it that might fix your problem!!!!!!!!

3. snacs

snacs Private E-2

Hi Heavenly
    Thanks for replying
    I've gone into wireless network connection properties and the configuration of Intel(r) PRO/Wireless 3956ABG Network Connection and it says this device is enabled and working properly and there doesn't seem to be any problems with the frivers as they are in the folders specified.
    I've reset the modem etc and it still doesn't seem tp have solved the problem
    Daragh

4. Heavenly

Heavenly Private E-2

ok but regardless un-install the wireless drivers and re-install it,then reboot and if that doesnt work try re-installing your motherboard driver!!
    i know its alot of work but if in the end if it works your sorted
    and if it doesn't work you will have gaine4d some knowledge on how to fix things like this in the future!!!!!!!!

what are your computer specs!!!!!!!???????

5. snacs

snacs Private E-2

Hi Heavenly
    Thanks. I will try to reinstall driver. Dunno how to reinstall motherboard driver (i'm far from being a computer expert -self taught and from problems like this!)
    All i know about my laptop is that its a Fujitsu Amilo Pro with Windows xp pro version 2002 Service Pack 2 and its predominately black!!!!!
    Thanks
    Daragh

6. Heavenly

Heavenly Private E-2

ok just pop in the motherboard CD and try it might update drivers or something like that,if it doesnt say that it might say un-install!!!if it says nothing like that please post a reply!!!!!!!

7. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

Now are you saying that your wireless CARD recognizes your neighbors' wireless networks, but NOT your own?

If that's the case... it sounds like the wireless card is working and maybe something with the wireless feature of your router. Have you tried to repower the router and/or factory reset it by pushing the reset button on the back?

8. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

like jnorman said, factory reset your router, then reconfigure it using the instructions that came with it.

9. snacs

snacs Private E-2

No -no networks come up on a list
    It says "no wireless networks were found in range"
    Its just that everyday that I have used the laptop I always would have my 2 neighbours networks on the list as well as my own.
    Anyways will reset and reconfigure my router again to see if it makes any difference
    Thanks
    Daragh

10. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

OH.. so when your wireless WAS working you would also see your neighbors' networks as well? That's another story then. Try the reset and let us know.

11. snacs

snacs Private E-2

Hi
    I've reset the router and re-input its security seetings but still no change.
    I click the wireless icon in the system tray and it goes thru these stages

disabling wireless network adapter
    enabling wireless network adapter
    but stays on the task of connecting to the wireless network for ages until it says that it can't connect .

I was just looking at everything on my computer got to do with wireless and in the netwrok setup wizard it says that
    "the network connections listed below are disconnected. Plug in your network cables or otherwise connect your network hardware and then click next.
    Wireless network Connection Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection"

Does this have anything to do with it, if so how do I connect it ( and how did it become disconnected?

Does it have anything to do with the fact the hotkey to enable/disable isn't working for some reason
    Thanks

12. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

Quite possibly...

Is the hot key not working b/c of a physical issue... (bad spot in keyboard) or a logical problem... (misconfigured software etc?)

Not sure if you mentioned this earlier...

13. snacs

snacs Private E-2

More than likely a logical problem - it was working up until my laptop got infected with malware (which has been cleaned up using the malware forum)
    It was pressed when it became apparent that the computer had a virus to disable the internet connection quickly!. And since then it hasn't worked (the other hotkeys do work -internet & mail)

14. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

Do you have the software that configures the hot keys for you?

That "path" may have been deleted with the malware removal (I honestly doubt it though.)

Seen stranger things happen.

I would go to the laptop vendor's site and see what they offer in support and downloadables... maybe you can snag the software off of there.

Good luck

15. snacs

snacs Private E-2

Hi
    The situation has been resolved.
    I searched for hotkey*.* on my computer and noticed a file hotkeyapp.* in a an AVG quarantined folder.
    When I exmained the logs of AVG along i noticed a couple of files from C:\program files\launch manger\ were being quarantined.
    One of the was wbutton.exe which apparently from research I carried out is software that is required along with hotkey application and launch manager for the wireless button to work right.
    I was lucky enough to be able download the launch manager application from the laptop manufacturers website and uninstalled it, then reinstalled the launch manager and upon reboot it seems to be working fine.

So hopefully this info will be able to help anybody else who comes across the problem

Anyways thanks all for all your help
    Daragh

16. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

Awesome!!

Congrats!!!

Way to work it thru

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds