Optical Drive / Possible Hard-drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jias333, Feb 7, 2010.

1. jias333

jias333 Private E-2

So I'm currently trying to install a game, for some reason at the exact same point every time i am getting an error that says: Cyclic Redundancy Check Error. Ive been all over the internet looking for solutions to this problem but none of them are working for my situation. Most people say it is either a problem with the disk or the hard drive itself, but i have gone back to the store where i bought the game and got a new disk so the disk cannot be the problem as it stops at the same place regardless. Also my hard drive cannot be the problem because i have tried installing it to both my computers hard-drive as well as an external drive which leaves me no option but to believe it is a problem with the optical drive. Since i have a laptop i cant dismantle anything to clean / make sure the drive is connected properly. I dont know if there is a solution to this problem short of having to send my computer to a proffessional / back to the manufacturer but if anything i have done is wrong then i would love a suggestion of what i could possibly do to fix this problem. I am also not against revisiting my hard drive being at issue if anyone still thinks it is the problem.

Please Assist,
    Cheers,
    Jias

2. jias333

jias333 Private E-2

I find it difficult to follow the instructions on that site, i'm kinda new when it comes to using cmd, if you could possibly break it down into a "exactly what i should type" kinda thing that would really be appretiated

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sorry, I am just trying to get this straight in my head: You have a laptop with 2 physical hard drives, not just 2 hard drive partitions, correct?

To check this:
    1. Right-click on "My computer" and choose "Manage". Authenticate if necessary in vista/windows 7.

2. On the left of the screen, click on "Disk management"

3. Have a look through the list in the bottom-centre of the screen and see how many drives show up there. They should be labelled HD0, HD1, CR-ROM 0 etc.

4. jias333

jias333 Private E-2

ya i have Disk 0 Disk 1 and CD-Rom 0. Disk 0 is in my laptop itself and Disk 1 is an external hard drive. Both 1TB if that matters

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm thinking it is a problem with the optical drive. You could try imgburn to "Create Image File from Disc". This would try to copy the whole CD to your HD. If that could complete without errors then you could use something like Virtual Clone Drive to mount the ISO file and install the game.

6. jias333

jias333 Private E-2

Thanks ill give it a try and let you know ASAP

7. jias333

jias333 Private E-2

Tried it and it got to 48% but then my optical drive started making the same sounds it makes when i try to install the game and i couldn't get it to go any farther :(

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It sounds to me that the optical drive is going bad. I have had a lot more problems with optical drives than HDs when trying to copy files so I am predisposed to blaming the optical.

You only have the laptop no other PC/CDROM?

9. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

yep, sounds like a faulty cd drive to mee

Burrell

10. jias333

jias333 Private E-2

I'm gonna have access to a desktop PC this coming weekend, should i install it on that and then transfer all the installed files onto my portable HD? would that work?

11. jias333

jias333 Private E-2

also if u have any suggestions for fixing my optical drive?

12. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Just copy the contents of the CD to the laptop hard drive, then run the "setup.exe" file. It will install the game as if you had the CD in the drive, but it will be from the hard drive. Installing on the desktop and the copying the files would not work as when you install the game numerous registry entries are made and some hidden files are sometimes created in lots of different locations.

As for fixing the laptop, about all you can do is swap out the CD-ROM drive for a new one. This is a very easy process normally that involves undoing a screw or two, sliding out the drive and sliding the new one in, and then doing the screws back up.

Please post the make and model and we will find an instruction manual and part on line for you.

13. jias333

jias333 Private E-2

Thanks ill try it and let you know, i'm also pretty sure switching out a laptop disk drive is not that easy nor is it inexpensive im conisdering an external USB disk drive. Ill post in this thread on the weekend once i try using the desktop. Thanks all.

14. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I've done the procedure many times and it is fairly easy for anyone with knowledge of how to use a screwdriver.;)

It should cost around £30 for a new internal drive, or about the same price for an external.

Your choice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds