Best freeware anti virus program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hugh750, Nov 15, 2005.

1. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

What is the best freeware anti virus software besides avg? :eek:

2. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Avast - A/virus saved my bacon numerous times - I am an adventurous explorer.
    Kerio Personal firewall - simple intuitive and again free - altho it may be no longer available free
    In the case of Avast it updates quickly and does not give me the hassles that Norton gave me a few years ago.
    HTH
    Robert

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Another vote for Avast! which is just has updated version as of yesterday.

Small warning tho, on some setups it doesnt play nice with ZoneAlarm, hopefully this may have been fixed in this update or still being worked on by both companies.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I already know that avast! doesn't play nice with zonealarm,I now use sygate and it works wonderfully with avast!.

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

And yet another vote for Avast!.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Ignore me!

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

We've all been doing that for a while. :p

The best AntiVirus program is one you keep updated.

Most of the poplular free ones are very good. The difference between AVG or AVAST for example, is largely down to user preference rather than one being superior to the other.

8. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

One more vote for Avast ;)

9. SurleyTech

SurleyTech Private E-2

One vote here for AVG... Although it is true that thay are all good as long as the virus defs are kept current, but I have found the setup of AVG to be the simplist, after having nothing but problems with Norton for over a year I have converted my personal computers as well as all my clients computers of to AVG.

Editorial note: Norton was great untill it got taken over by symantic.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hmmm, that makes it crappy for the good part of the last 10 years then, because back when i used Windows 95, it was still owned by Symantec.

So my question now is, when exactly did Symantec purchase Norton? I was under the impression that they had always owned it.

12. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

For what it's worth, I tried AntiVir this weekend and thought it was just fantastic. It's really easy to install, fast, and does not slow down your computer. And from the reviews I've read (av-comparables/virus bulletin) it appears to be an advanced/excellent av program.

13. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Pretty much, Norton has been crappy for a long, long time. :)

Peter Norton was the orginal owner and author in 1982. He's the guy on the front of Symantec boxes you see.

In 1990 he then sold to Symantec.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds