wine for linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by uLtra_nOOb, Feb 29, 2004.

1. uLtra_nOOb

uLtra_nOOb Private E-2

i've installed linux mandrake 9.0 on my comp. (amd athlon k-7 900 mhz, 256 sdram, geforce 2 mx 400, via 133...). which already had win xp on it=dualboot

i've also downloaded the newest version of wine (20040213), the source version. i've tried to compilate it but i have and error:

[ivica@localhost wine-20040213]$ ./configure
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See `config.log' for more details.
    [ivica@localhost wine-20040213]$

when i try ./configure this comes up, dunno me what it means (linux noob). i've also tried wine install but no deal.
    what am i mising, and what should i do to make it work.
    sorry for the noob question.

2. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

checking for gcc... no

Hey uLtra_nOOb!
    Sorry, but I'm a noob, too.
    I think I see a problem, though. At the bottom, there, it says
    That there is no acceptable gcc compiler in your PATH

We have to see now if you have gcc (GNU c compiler) on your rig. If you DO, we can add it to your PATH. If you DON'T, then we have to get it installed before you can compile.

Like I said, I'm new, but I'll try to get back tonight if I find something helpful in my books I got here.

3. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

uLtra_nOOb,
    just for "kicks and giggles", do this:
    as root, (just be root temporarily , by doing su):
    then you can exit from the root status,

find / -name gcc

and see if anything comes up. You may have to pipe it through more if its too much for the screen.

find / -name gcc | more

Tell me what happens, man

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I don't think I've ever seen a *nix box without gcc and cc. Type "which gcc" at the command line. You *should* get something like "/usr/bin/gcc".

Also, whenever you compile, you usually need to drop to root access. In the console, type "su" and you can then log in temporarily as root.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds