CD-ROM is unresponsive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lost2TheMax, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Lost2TheMax

Lost2TheMax Private E-2

Its been like this for a while, but I figured since I found this website I would ask how to fix it.

My CD-ROM drive thingy won't read CD's at all anymore. It doesnt even make the spinny noise or acknowledge that there's a CD in the drive. It's been like this for over a year.. but one time a few months ago I was able to put a CD in to install my webcam and it worked out of chance, I guess..

I've checked the Device Manager and theres no exclamation point or warning or error sign, in fact I've checked the driver and it always says this device is working properly. I dont understand, its as if everything is okay except it wont read CD's. Is it possible that it's time has just arrived and that I need to get a new CD-ROM installed? I've had this computer since 2004 (Its not painfully slow either, although it could use a tune up)

Its a pain! I bought The Sims 2 Deluxe and its gone to complete waste since I cant install the game due to the lack of a working CD drive. Pooey.

If it helps, the Device manager says its called
    ASUS CRW-4832AS

Thank you in advance

2. Lost2TheMax

Lost2TheMax Private E-2

Nobody has any idea :/?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If it doesn't spin up, I'd say it is gone (probably the drive belt).
    Does the light come on? If the light doesn't come on, it might not be getting power so you can open the case and try another power connector.

4. Lost2TheMax

Lost2TheMax Private E-2

Unfortunately it does light up. Sigh.

5. VaporTrail2515

VaporTrail2515 Private E-2

Just out of curiousity, is this a Vista machine?

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Will it play an audio CD? If it doesn't autoplay does the disc show up in My Computer?

I think it may be time for a replacement. The older a CDROM gets the pickier it gets. A DVD burner can be found at newegg.com for around $30. Worth the money to have a drive that works everytime IMO.

7. Lost2TheMax

Lost2TheMax Private E-2

Nope. My computer is 5 years old.

It doesnt play any CD's, and it doesnt show up in My Computer either.

I think so too. I'll check it out. Would I be able to take a CDROM from another (older) computer and put it in this one? I wouldnt do it myself of course.

8. allenphreak

allenphreak Private E-2

Yep, an old CD drive would work as well, provided it's in working condition already.

9. sach2

If you have the old computer around swapping the CDROMs should be very easy.

The CDROMS are held in place by 4 screws. They have one power cord and one data cable. It really is just a matter of unplugging each cord from the back of the drive, removing the 4 screws and sliding the old one out of the bracket. Then sliding the replacement in, putting the screws back and connecting the two plugs.

If you want to look at a guide I'm sure we can find a decent one. Really not a difficult task even for a first-timer. :)

10. Lost2TheMax

Lost2TheMax Private E-2

A guide would be amazing. If I could install it myself I think I'd be in CDROM heaven!

11. sach2

The first half of this video will give you a basic overview of what things look like.

I'm sure I can find a better pictorial. Looking around I now remember that some models have slide tracks rather than screws and that sort of thing. The model number of your PC would help me find anything particular to your situation. But basically it should not be difficult.

Two things that would be helpful to know is if both current and old computer each had only one CDROM installed on their own cable. If so you won't have to worry about jumpers. Also, if you open their cases can you see/access all four screws holding the CDROM in place, easily. Some cases make it more difficult to access two of the screws.

12. Lost2TheMax

Lost2TheMax Private E-2

I'm pretty sure I got it, most CD's work now but sometimes when I put a CD in it will say "Windows cannot read from this disk. This disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

FML, I will never be able to play The Sims.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds