Websites HELP

Discussion in 'Software' started by bobothebionicmonkey, Nov 3, 2006.

1. bobothebionicmonkey

bobothebionicmonkey Private First Class

hey guys my sister came to me today with a problem I can't solve. For her online class she has to present a website. she used netscape composer to make all the pages and link them together. however now she is trying to get the page on the web. her teacher told her to use SSH shell compiler (or somthing like that i might have gotten the name wrong) and when she follows the steps she uploads the files and then has no idea what the url is to get to the pages. She is having a coniption and I'm getting the blunt of it cause i am unable to help.

Could I get some Step BY step instructions on how to use this SSH program?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Is SSH really what you want to use? Secure SHell is a protocol used to connect to remote machines (typically Linux/Unix based) and issue commands on them. This COULD be what you want - connect to a webserver, and use the command line editor to create webpages.... Windows does not natively support SSH commands, so you would need a client like PuTTY to connect.

I would expect it is the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program that you're interested in. This is usually used to upload/download files to a remote computer. This is available natively in Windows, webbrowsers like IE or Firefox, or you could also use a GUI-based client like SmartFTP to connect.

However, you will need the hostname or IP address of the computer that you are connecting to! Otherwise you can't do step 1!

The URL would be something like http://iporhostnameofremotecomputer/directory <-- directory being the folder the files are put into. Also remember that she needs an index file with an extension supported by the webserver (ie. index.html) to have anything other than a directory listing show up when that URL is typed into a web browser.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds