Laptop Battery will not Charge when laptop is on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uselu, Dec 28, 2008.

1. uselu

uselu Private E-2

Hello, my Dell laptop(Insipron 1100) Battery does not Charge when the laptop is on. If i want to charge it, i have to shut down the laptop.The problem started recently. Can someone please help me. Thanks, uselu

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It's either the charger (not likely) or the charging/power/voltage circuit in the PC. The only way for the average home user to test this is to try a different AC adapter, and to be REALLY thorough, use a new battery too (but this is prohibitively expensive, esp. if the problem isn't the battery or charger). Most PC repair places will tell you that the PC will require a new motherboard, but this isn't so. There are some places that can diagnose the problem and repair the PC at the board level, costing maybe $250 after parts and labor. Replacing the system board will cost about twice that amount, maybe more....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds