How Do I Stop AVG From Reporting False Positives?

Discussion in 'Software' started by superstar, Jan 28, 2009.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Good afternoon,

I would like to know how I can stop AVG v7.5 from reporting false positives. I can download a file online which I know is reported to not be a virus from various sources such as hundreds or people saying it isn't in google searches, yet AVG will block the file [denying me access to it], or toss it in the virus vault if you I use it.

So how can I put a stop to AVG doing that before I try to use these types of files?

I heard from someone that all you need to do is turn off the residents shield before trying to access newly downloaded files that would cause false positives, and others who say to completely close AVG before doing so instead.

So I'm trying to verify how to do this in the future before I start doing so.

Thanks

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I'm on v8 and the resident shield will manage exceptions. Don't know if v7.5 has that option.
    Cheers

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

Iam not an expert. And I don't know if Iam allowed to post but its safe.

Go to this download its AVG 8 Newest one yet.

http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe#tba2

And after downloading it you can view and read the manual for it. And test it with that "fake virus" and then you can make exceptions on that avg. So just download and read the manual.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Here is AVG from MajorGeeks
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download886.html
    since support for 7.5 will be ending at the end of February, instead of wasting time trying to fix it for about one month, uninstall it and do a custom install of v8. You do not want to install the link toolbar or safe search (be sure you remove the x from infron of those choices).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds