nv4_disp.dll error/lockup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darkwolf, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Darkwolf

Darkwolf Private E-2

Yesterday I upgraded my 2nd pc to the following:

XP1700+
    768MB PC2700, underclocked to 2100 right now
    ecs k7s5a pro (SiS)
    fx 5700 ultra

from the following:

Duron 900
    384 pc100
    ecs k7s5a pro (SiS)
    G3 Ti200

I did a fresh format and windows xp install. I've tried the 53.03 and the 52.16s and both are giving the nv4_disp.dll crash in games after just a few minutes. I've ran memory test and those are fine. I've done a burnin and no crashes and heat is not an issue. My main PC is also the identicle computer and it doesnt have that problem. I've tried different agp app settings. Lowered mem timing from ultra to normal. I havnt bothered disabling WC or lowering the card speed yet, as those work fine on identicle system, plus why get something if you dont use it 100%. So anyone found a fix for this problem yet? I had it on an old G2 I had a year or so back and never could get the thing to work right.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Make sure AGP Fast Write is disabled in BIOS settings.

(Get a different motherboard...)

Try your GF3..you might have a dud video card.

Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

3. Darkwolf

Darkwolf Private E-2

Fast Write works on identicle system.

Can't afford a new motherboard. And these work just fine.

Card works fine in 2nd pc.

Yes, just installed the latest SiS agp drivers. So far so good. Strange as I'm still using the XP drivers on main pc with no problem.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Fast Writes is old tech.

It causes instability, doesn't matter if it works on an indentical system.

Turn it off in favor of stability. Don't have to take my word for it, check around. The consensus is to not use Fast Writes.

I haven't checked but I bet your FX doesnt even support Fast Writes.

Just like two cars from the same dealer, indentical, do not always run the same, and have their own quirks.

Check around. They don't work fine all the time. This isn't a board I would trust.

If the card works find in another computer, its ram or motherboard most likely. I lean towards motherboard seeing how ram tested fine.

See first point. Every board has its own quirks. Maybe this one needs the SIS drivers. Have you compared revision numbers?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2004
  5. psyco

psyco Private E-2

I just purchased a new SOYO SY-K8USA Dragon Ultra BLK Label mobo. It is a great board but I am wondering if the probs I'm having have to do with it. At first I was getting the error listed above nv4_display.dll everytime this happened pc would lock up and blue screen followed with the error listed. After updating Bios, changing drivers downloading NVIDIA stabilizer 28.32 I was able to get by it. After getting rid of it I keptgeting errors like this
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

This was after a clean install of XP pro, got rid of 1 prob but a new came up. I have upgraded my BIOS to 2.3A but no luck. Any suggestions?

Soyo SOYO SY-K8USA Dragon Ultra BLK
    MS WINDOWS XP PRO SP1
    80GB Maxtor
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    Nvidia FX500 256MB
    1.0GB DDR 3200 RAM
    Pioneer 8X DVD-R
    Pioneer DVD
    Pioneer CD rom
    1.44mb Floppy
    D-link Wireless card
    17" Samsung SyncMaster 170MP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds