How protect my computer when I'm gone

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Feb 13, 2007.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I suppose this is a really basic question, but here goes: How do I keep a computer-savvy burglar from getting into my computer when I'm away on a trip--other than taking the computer with me, of course? I have logged off all the websites that I have signed into in the past, including the IE and Opera browsers that I use. But there's still the Desktop with some icons leading to places I don't want others to get to, and the Start menu, and the My Documents and the My Computer icons at the bottom. Is there a way to fix it so only a generic type of window shows up when the comuter is turned on and you have to enter some mumbo-jumbo that you have made up in order to show the Desktop and the icons at the bottom of the window? Thanks.

2. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Are you using XP? Simply password protect your account & it'll keep out all but the determined individual. It's kinda like locking the front door of your house...it keeps the 'honest' people from wandering into your house.

If security is a real concern, you can use programs such as Folder Lock that'll hide & encrypt whatever files/folders/drives you want it to. Fantastic program actually, I recommend it.

I suppose you could unplug your hard drive & power supply connectors...at least then they'd need tools to even turn the machine on.

3. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

I'll assume you're worried about someone physically being there and gaining access. If you're worried about 'hackers' just unplug you're internet. :)

For windows, you can set a Windows password in Control Panel -> Users and set a password on the accounts.

You may also be able to set a BIOS password if you are really concerned. This won't let anyone even close to Windows without knowing the password.

Of course if you're really, really concerned, you can always remove the HDD and hide it somewhere but that's extreme. :p

4. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Nice,quick replies. I wondered about user accounts and passwords, but I wasn't sure quite how to do it, even after reading the XP help section. I guess I am the administrator, but I really don't know how I became one, or if I have a user account, or if I have a password, or if I do, what it is. I guess I'm scared that if I go through the user account procedure, I won't even be able to get into my computer myself. Besides, would having user accounts and passwords keep the Desktop icons and the system tray stuff from showing up?

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

6. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but I find that I am in fact listed as the administrator. There's a link for creating a password, so I guess I don't have one. I would like to log off the computer just to see what happens, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to log back in. Can you tell me what happens if I log off and what is required to log back in?

7. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

It's pretty simple stuff. Right now, you're correct in that you don't have a password, and your XP is configured to skip the log-in process & you go directly to your desktop. Simply create a password...make it a short, easy one to test with. Upon re-boot, you'll be given a log-in screen. Once you enter your user name & newly created password, you'll start up & be at your desktop. Once you're comfortable with the process, set your password to something more difficult & you'll be good to go. If there are "guest" accounts or other admin accounts set-up, make sure to either disable them, or give them passwords too.

8. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thank you, both Wavetar and zbd21. It sure looks like both of you have a solution to my problem. I will be trying them out. Appreciate it!

9. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Forgot how to edit. I tried Wavetar's solution and it worked great--just what I'm after. One more thing and I'm through: Preparing for a trip, I went to the trouble to log off all the sensitive web sites that I had logged onto and had stayed logged onto. With my new-log-off-the-computer procedure, do I have to log off those sites--such as for online bill-paying--for security? Thanks again!

10. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

It's ALWAYS a good idea not to have "auto log-in" or "remember password" enabled for sensitive sites like banking, etc. It's too easy for you to leave for even a few minutes & someone could easily obtain access. I force myself to remember passwords for stuff like that.

11. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I was afraid that would be the answer, but it certainly makes sense. Thanks again--for all your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds