ISP blocking P2P programs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PunjabiFinEST88, Jun 10, 2006.

1. PunjabiFinEST88

PunjabiFinEST88 Private E-2

Hi

recently there was a problem with my friends computer , he had his internet shutdown and his isp Rogers told that he had an virus n it came from using lime wire and other p2p programs like that. But when i asked the isp , if i got norton will it stop the virus n he says no.

well is he lieing and doesnt want me to use those p2p programs.

does anyone know a list of programs they have restrictions on ?

they threatend that it shud not happen agian

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

No, but they are within their legal right to shut you off. With the RIAA chasing people around, ISP's are covering themselves. I guess if I kept downloading viruses, I might stop using them anyhow. You are aware those things are rampant with that crap, right? I doubt they have a list of programs "blocked", but more likely your account might get flagged from excessive bandwidth useage.

3. PunjabiFinEST88

what u mean th RIAA , rampant

so they cant charge u anything if it happens agian?

THanks

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Recording Industry Of America wants ISP's to keep records of peoples activities for 2 years. They are probably simply warning him because he is using excessive bandwidth, or he is picking up viruses that are spreading across the network while running stealth on his computer, possibly using it as a botnet. Charge you? Money or jail time? ;) Depends on what he is doing and how far they want to go. At worst, he can kiss his broadband internet goodbye next time. All ISP's have strict rules in place to deal with this, most of us never find that out.

5. PunjabiFinEST88

anyway to prevent this from happening to me?

i got Norton antivirus 2006 , and zone alarm firewall

thanks for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds