Revo Unintaller Pro: will not accept activation key after updating program

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Jul 30, 2010.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I use Revo's paid version of uninstaller (Revo Uninstaller Pro).

The product has been activated (months ago) successfully. Today I open it to uninstall a program and there's an update notification for a newer version (to fix bugsrolleyes).

It updated successfully, however, after you update it it requires you enter your activation code (why the hell would a company make you do that for a simple upgrade???).

Now it's not accepting the code. It shuts down as it should but doesn't want to cooperate after I open it again.

I have an email in to them.

My question is does anyone use this and have you had this issue? What did you do?

I've tried multiple times. I've rebooted. I've cleared my cache (using ccleaner).

(Win 7 64bit)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

This might be a bit off, but is it possible that since the program changed, it needs to be added as a safe program again in your antivirus program?

3. LauraR

Thanks. I think it's a glitch in their own activation system. Both times this has happened, I've emailed and they email my back with a 'sorry for the inconvenience, please try one more time'. It then works.rolleyes So it's definitely not a problem with my security.

I just got an email from them this morning and it's back to working. It makes me not want to update though when I get the notification that a new version is available when I open the program.

EDIT: their response when I asked about this problem:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Laura R, glad to see that your problem is "solved". ;)

Can you tell us the differences between the FREE and the Pro ($$$) versions, apart from paying for it.

I have used the free version for ages and am happy with it.

Bazza.

5. LauraR

Hey bazza

I bought the Pro version because the free did not support 64bit. I can't remember fully, but I think I tried to install the free version on my Win 7 laptop and use it and it didn't seem to want to work properly, or fully. That was close to a year ago though, so can't be 100% sure. LOL

Here's the comparison chart:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

It just might be a security problem.
    I mean, if just getting an eMail from them is enough to "correct" the problem, rolleyes what else was in the eMail that might have been noticed by the program?:confused:confused;)

7. LauraR

Nope. They have my activation key also. My opinion on what happened is it's a one machine key and it's already registering on their end as being taken (which it is). I think they have to do something with the activation key.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

You would think that they could check the configuration, much as Microsoft does, and see that it is the same.

9. LauraR

Yep. I agree. I got from their email though, that it's a problem for them they are trying to address. That for some reason when you update the program it comes back as unactivated, meanwhile your activation key is showing as being in use by them when you go to reactivate.

Whatever the cause it's a pain in the butt.

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Time for them to break out the RAID and kill some bugs?:-D:-D

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

LauraR, thanks for the link. Most informative. :cool

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds