Programs Won't Open

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dustindell, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Dustindell

Dustindell Private E-2

I was doing a little house cleaning on the computer today and i was deleting registry files from worms. Well i must have accidently deleted one i was not supposted to. So now when i type in MSCONFIG it asks what program i would like to open it with. Also when i try to open any item on my desktop i get the following message: "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Foloer Options control panel."

Thanks

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

This is not a malware problem! I'm moving it to the Software Forum.

3. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Try This:

Download the fileassoc.txt file here http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_fileassoc.txt (you may want to right click and select Save As). Look up the file extension that you wish to correct. The entries are in the format of:

assoc.txt=txtfile

Use your mouse to copy the line for the association you wish to restore. Then click Start, Run and enter CMD A Command Prompt window will open. Right click in this Window and select Paste. Then press Enter.

You can download a BAT file (zipped) that will restore all of the "default" associations that XP ships with. It will not restore those file associations created by 3rd party applications. The BAT file can be downloaded here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_fileassoc.zip

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds