Submitting software....

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by ionEyes, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi Folks,

Im new here, well my account has been active a while, but I have not 'dug in' too much.

I have some software to submit to the site and cant find help in the forums, searching for 'submit'.

Can someone please help me ?

I have some privacy software I have been developing for a year now and its mature enough to open it to wide exposure.

Thanks in advance...

2. silas

silas MajorGeek

3. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

I have since contacted the main developers, this was based on open-source code, and they have concerns that mean I wont be able to release the software for now.

Given what they have said, it may not be possible to release it at all :-(
    Based on that it means it will likely remain a pet project of mine.

Thanks for replying to thread and supplying the information in any case.

Very much appreciated !

Regards.

4. silas

silas MajorGeek

No problem. Sorry your pet couldn't go live!

5. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

After much agonising and complying with the main developers wishes, I have decided to 'publish and be damned'.

I have emailed the address you mentioned earlier.

Hope this project can provide some benefit to MajorGeeks users.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Good for you and I hope that Majorgeeks takes your project on to host as a download, but dont take it badly if we do not as not all softwares submitted will be hosted and thats not just software from the smaller devs but the larger ones too that is not taken on.

Good to have you here and never know the membership here may help you fine tune your app (especially if its something of general interest).

7. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi Halo,

Thanks for the message.

I appreciate the software may not be accepted.
    If it is I would welcome feedback and have provided a support link for users to get help, in the form of an email address.

Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

8. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi there,

I emailed the address and nearly a week has passed. Not sure if it was received ?

Anyone out there ?

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I will bring it to Tim's attention. ;)

10. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

I dont recall seeing anything like that.

If you cam, PM me the link to your site of email jim @ majorgeeks

Thanks.

11. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi Corporal Punishment,

*** not everyday do you get to say hi to something like that :)

Thanks for getting back to me.
    Thanks TimW too.

I have now emailed the address in the post below this one.
    I had previously emailed tim at ... - I have now tried jim at ...

I hope I have got it right....

Failing that, I can upload a torrent someplace and point you to it in here ?
    Its another option.

I am just polishing the final touches to the software package now, but its as near finished as it can be.

12. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi there Corporal Punishment...

I have not received a reply from the email, so I thought I would follow your other idea of PM'ing you. Unfortunately, I can't PM at the moment, because I am such a newbie and have not met the requisite 50 posts.

Failing releasing the software here, are there other sites that you could recommend, that dont require PAD files and / or a web site to host the software ?

*** I know that request could appear a little cheeky...

13. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

I now have the software distributed on SourceForge.

I would love (prefer) if it was hosted here too. Coz I love MajorGeeks.

You can check it out here, and see if its worthy for inclusion:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/blackbeltpriv/

14. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

15. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, ionEyes

I took a quick look at your SourceForge page and from the screenshots see that your program recommends some privacy addons for FF that all seem good. I followed a post a while back here at MG that also recommended these addons, as essential, but found Ghostery a bit too aggressive because it blocked comments from loading from one of my favorite sites. I have no problem with Ghostery because I didn't investigate the various settings to adjust things but wonder how someone who just clicks install will understand what each addon does.

SourceForge although a great site for reliable programs doesn't lend itself to giving a description of the value of the software. I know, you as a developer are so involved with the details that it is difficult to see things from the outside.

It might be helpful if you could explain the value of the software to the common user. I've read about Tor (good and bad) but don't really understand what it does. Could you give a paragraph or two of what your program does and how it it effects the common internet user? The Sourceforge page only references secure document sharing but explains nothing about Tor or FF.

I think such a description might help everyone in understanding what you have been working on for so long.

Thanks! :)

16. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi sach2,

Your feedback is INVALUABLE !

Tor helps protect your privacy online, by preventing monitoring and snooping of your browser habits. The security plugins help Tor even more in this regard.

The installer gives you the option of installing all security plugins in one easy step - or the ability to add only the ones that you want to use.

WASTE is a secure darkNet(). Some users are censored (China) and require special access facilities to the internet - these are called bridge relays.

The Tor website can you offer you more detail than I can hope to...
    https://www.torproject.org/

Thank you for the feedback.

God bless you. May compassion rest gently on your shoulders and may your conciousness rise to accept her.

Regards.

17. DavidGP

Hi

Have you emailed both Tim and/or Jim @ majorgeeks.com with this app?

I will try and give it a test over the weekend and give feedback to you and/or Tim and Jim.

I would though on a very quick glance remove the Kungfu panda from your app as that will be copyrighted by the film studio and will not do you any favours as to listings on many major download sites as they will have to follow copyright laws, UNLESS you have written approval from the studio?

18. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi DavidGP,

I have removed all links to KungFu Panda for the very reasons you have mentioned. It still appears in screen shots at the site, but I have used a different logo.

I have been so busy getting bugfix releases and integrating the darkNet() that I have not updated all screen shots.

If you would like that to be done before taking anything further I can do so....

Awaiting your advice. The installer and all docs contain no copyrighted images or logos.

Thank you and warm regards.

19. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

20. DavidGP

Hi

Good to see that you have removed the copyrighted images from that film, while I think they did work great with your app, the hassle from IP law these days is not worth the hassle.

have you emailed Tim or Jim on this app as I dont see it listed on MG yet? well worth contacting them, I would also contact Microsoft as your app gets a RED flag in downloading in IE9 due to the SmartScreen Filter, so you may not get a lot of folk downloading it as "wrongly" in this case its listed as malware.

21. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi David,

Thank your for taking the time to contact me and providing excellent advice again.

Red flag ? Thats just not fair :) I don't know how to go about contacting microsoft on this issue. I may need your capable advice again on that.

We are ready for primetime though - and I mean Major prime time of the Geek type :)

Thank you again....

Callsign: Spiderman
    Telegraphic Anthropomorphic Student
    Meta-Physical Atomics
    Fractallic Awakening Center
    Swarm Software Research Laboratories.

... we put the passion back into compassion...
    ... on the edges of Chaos, you'll find us !
    ... one quantum from way-point alpha.

22. DavidGP

Hi

Thought I would show you what I am seeing as pictures paint a thousand words as they say! maybe the naming convention as too many ...... in the name, so try loosing some basically the date .....'s

[​IMG]

I will see if some contacts of mine at MSFT can help with this as the normal way of flagging a site or download as a false positive doesnt seem to work for me at this point in time but some users and yourself may try them HERE (should be same for IE8, dont know about Fx as I have not as yet tried the DL with that browser, I have Fx 9a)

So this version is a final to go working end one? if so I will defiantly try it this weekend.

23. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

We have just discovered a bug in the ID generation code.
    We are working over-time to fix it, but software still works.

We will be releasing a new version in due course.

This is a hotBake() item in Swarm Software Research Labs.

Please bear with us.

24. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Swarm Software Research Labs have now squashed the bug.
    We will release a new stable version in the next 2 hours.

Thank you for your patience.

25. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi there David,

Thanks for showing me the screen shot of the warning.
    Just to update you.

We have just released darkBIOS(), the DNA at the heart of our darkX() technologies.

Now people can create and shape their own darkNet() with a sensible seed state to begin their fun.

People can get their BETA copy here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/darkbios/files/beta/

26. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Swarm Software and wormflyware are pleased to announce that:

BlackBelt Privacy - has hit v2011.09.18. This version now supports superScale(). Our darknet anti-censorship technology.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/blackbeltpriv/

BlackBelt darkBIOS() - has hit stable release v2011.09.017. This now also supports superScale() technology.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/darkbios/

We hope we can work with the MajorGeeks here to bring you a performance privacy pack with a useful review.

MajorGeeks was always our preferred distributor, we wish no disrespect to SourceForge - since they are damn good too.

We hope you enjoy the software as much as we enjoyed putting it together for you.....

Now.... syth lords... see the light and come and join the darkSide() !!!

:)

27. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

First time I see a new app submission being discussed so openly. ? You're lucky with the exposure IMHO.;)

28. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

augiedoggie - I had not though about that.

Thank you....I do appreciate I am very lucky.
    Thank you for pointing it out.

I was hoping to originally release it here some time ago.

I Love MajorGeeks, visited it many times and then took the plunge and opened an account. Forums are excellent. People here genuinely want to help.

This place is a paradise for geeks !

29. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

BugFix from the Tor Community.

We have had valuable feedback from the Tor Development community as to a potential bug.

We are working to remove this bug and get a new version to you.

This should happen by around 17:00hrs BST

This is a hotBake() item within our labs.

We will keep you posted.

Sorry MajorGeeks I know we are not yet official with you.
    We felt if users here have already jumped that gun we need to keep them in the loop.

Please accept our apologies.

30. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Phew...

Being the polite developers we are.

We asked the bug if it could leave, it has taken early retirement.

Thanks for your patience.

The new version is up and ready for download.

31. DavidGP

Bugs are pesky little daemons arnt they!

32. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Yup David - they are.

This pesky little so-and-so threatened us with Employment Tribunal.
    We settled out of court !

:)

33. DavidGP

Well that was not so bad, if you are in UK they would have dragged you through the EU court of Human Rights as "BUGS have rights"

34. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi there David and fellow Geeks,

We are about to release a new product featuring the WASTE darkRendezvous() configured darkNet() client as a standalone install.

This will fill out our darkNet() eco-system...

... BlackBelt darkNet() - for WASTE-client only users.
    ... BlackBelt Privacy - for Tor and WASTE-client users.
    ... BlackBelt darkBIOS() - WASTE darkRendezvous() server - build your own darkNet()s with it. This is not available for download at the moment. There are 'issues' at Swarm Software and the download is on ice until these are resolved.

The green light from Microsoft as David pointed out is very important.

We would love to release our software here as we know it will get richer coverage here than SourceForge, although we do thank SourceForge for getting us off the ground.

MajorGeeks always was the ultimate prize to aim for.

Thanks for all the help. I hope we can get green-lighted and bring our feature-rich privacy stack to you.

Thank you again David and all at MajorGeeks !

35. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi there David, All

Is there still a chance to get hosted here ?
    It seems all has gone quiet.

Regards..

36. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you ever approach Tim @ majorgeeks. com?

37. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Hi TimW,

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I did, but I guess there is no harm in trying again.

Thank you for the response... may the force be with you during the festive period.

Thanks again...

38. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Thank you for all the help with getting software on MajorGeeks.
    BlackBelt Privacy has been added, but I want to now remain compliant with how things work here.

I have been pointed to the use of PAD files, but I am not sure how they work or where to get help on them.

If anyone knows I would also greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all again.
    Special thanks to Tim :)

39. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

Just got PADGen afters some help.
    Thanks.

40. ionEyes

ionEyes Private E-2

I just wanted to say a massive

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U
    oOo

to the team at MajorGeeks.

The software is hosted and has enjoyed over 700 downloads this month.
    As a thank you we included a link back to MajorGeeks in the hope it drives more people here.

If you are serious about your privacy and its relentless erosion...
    Get anonymous browsing and an anonymous darkNet (content exchange / teamworking) here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/BlackBeltPrivacy_TorWASTE_d7658.html

Its not just about privacy. One recent use was for a musician to get his current work to his friends in a secure fashion so they could collaborate on music creation without the need for expensive studio time, and without the music leaking before it was finished.

41. DavidGP

Hi

Fantastic feedback and glad your software is now hosted on Majorgeeks, and thanks for the link-back on your site.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds