Any reason not to clear out setup / installation files from my desktop and Downloads?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Jun 14, 2013.

1. I think that would free up a lot of space.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Re: Any reason not to clear out setup / installation files from my desktop and Downlo

If you are getting squeezed for space install a bit of software that shows you, in size order, what it is that's hogging it. There are several good free utilities for this, my preference is for WinDirStat. That's much better than doing it by hunch.

Personally I always keep the installation files for everything that's currently on my computers, and for a lot of other stuff too, as sometimes I want to keep a particular software version and not allow it to be updated, so I can reinstall it if necessary.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Re: Any reason not to clear out setup / installation files from my desktop and Downlo

I use windirstat a lot at work. Love that software. Hasn't been updated in a long time, but still worth the price. Free.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You won't be able to repair / uninstall / upgrade your software if you remove the installation files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds